Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/23/2003 8:49:05 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I was looking to pick up an AK-type sometime in the next few months and was looking at the VEPR K in 5.45.  Then I get here and see the SEAK and wonder if this would be a better choice.  I'm not too knowledgeable in AK's so I'm hoping you can help me out.  The reason I was looking at the VEPR was because I not only like a weapon that functions well, but fit and finish are very important.  I think the VEPR looks nicer than most AK's I've seen on the walls of my local gun stores for $299 and the SEAK seems to fall into the same category as the VEPR.

Any input you folks have would be greatly appreciated.

-St
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Go for the SEAK.  Chip in $20 to become a team member and you save $50 off the price of the rifle.

Where in UT are you?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Sandy.  Where you at?

I was leaning toward the SEAK because it is more of a "true" AK.  Any specifics on why SEAK over VEPR?

Thanks,

-St
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a whole lot of experience in AK's, the SEAK will be my first.    

I'm up in SLC.  Get to the gun show yesterday?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#4]
You know I did.  I rarely miss one.  It's usually the same old stuff everytime, but where else would I get those kinds of deals on ammo without shipping costs?
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Same here.  The guns I'm after are always overpriced.  But I always buy at least 1000 rounds of something and some ammo cans.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 3:57:36 AM EDT
[#6]
SEAK because I had one just like it built last year and know how well it works. Bulgy bbls are very good, and the RPK receivered VEPR will weigh about 1 1/2 lbs more. I put an Ergo grip on mine so it fits more like a VEPR also. The occasional 2moa group with Barnaul fmj, but 2 1/2 is common.

PS- the SEAK also gets you in on some excellent deals on optional mags and scope.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]
The VEPR is a nice rifle.  However, my two "complaints" about it are I believe the weight is excessive-especialy for a 5.45 AK, and that it does not look even remotely  authentic.

My vote would be for the SEAK-a build on quality parts with attention to detail.

If a 7.62 interests you, then Campy's suggestions are a great primer.  I reallly like the pre-ban Polytechs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, you talked me into it.  Just sent Krinkfreak an IM to put my name on the SEAK list.  I know I'm going to be happy with it.

Thanks for all the help,

-St
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
SIGthusiast:

For what it is worth, I think you made a great choice.

If you haven't shot a lot of 5.45, you are going to love it.  In fact, maybe we can hook up some time and I'll bring the SAR 2 for you to wring out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top