Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/22/2003 6:36:05 AM EDT
Preferably, synthetic one.

My buddy in Iraq asked me to look for one.  He did not say, but I suspect that his convoy was ambushed once and he had to use his Type56 in FA a lot.  He just said gloved hands only go so far when holding an AK in FA mode.

So, where do I find one?

Thanks
OZ
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Oz,
I got mine from www.tacticalgers.com , but it was total crap!!! I had to add a larger bolt, and fabricated a set of plates to compress the plastic piece of crap so it wouldn't wiggle or fall off!
My suggestion, if Chris has access to a cordless drill, is to buy a length of rail, drill and fit it to the lower of the AK, and then buy a GOOD vert grip that are plentiful in almost any AR supplier's catalogs.
They (AK suppliers) as well sell the vert grip wood lowers for AK's, but they are canted foward and I have heard they are difficult to hold compared to the standard verts that are pretty much 90degrees from the forend.
I have seen lowers sold for $60 that are all ready to go in this format, synthetics mostly, havent found a link yet.

K-Var has a few:
http://www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=270&1=271&2=-1&6=3

http://www.k-var.com/search.asp?7=vertical+foregrip
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Found it!

http://www.joeken.net/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=109&cat=Hot+New+Items

Joeken has it. But its $70.
In the long run you'd save money by buying a whole synth stock set from K-Var (REALLY high quality synth sets, all with metal heat shields. Really durable!) and a vert grip, then mounting your own rail. Its easy!!! If you need help i can do it for you if you want. Buy the stuff and bring it over and I'll set you up in a pinch!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Metalman,

thanks for the tips.  I like the idea of a 90 degree grip.  Isn't it what you have on your SAR?

I agree the forward slanted pistol grip is not very comfortable to hold.

Where do you find the picattiny rail for your forward grip?  If I decide to go that way, I will definitely need your help to mount the rail on the handguard.

Thanks again.

oz
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Kvar has the romanian synthetic forward and rear facing pistol grips.  IMHO the rear facing is more comfortable. I think they are $29.oo  check their web site.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#5]
your buddy should be able to find them out the WAZZUU in Iraq...He should be getting them for us....
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
your BUDDY? should be able to find them out the WAZZUU in Iraq...He should be getting them for us....

have you been to Iraq lately?  Have you seen the condition of confiscated AKs ?  They give the good ones to the new Iraqi army and police.  The beat up ones are what left for the US PMC to scrounge.  The woods are either scorched, cracked, or simply soft due to water damage.  I dont know about you, but I am not going to begin to "question" my buddy's motive for requesting this stock since he is the one with his ass on the line.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
No need to get harsh...Ive seen pics of weapons stock piles and looks like they got a shit load of parts.....And anyways I put my ass on the line every day so every one can do the precious WAL-Mart shopping....
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:44:37 AM EDT
[#8]
2 options off the top of my head:

1. Both K-VAR and Interordnance sell the Romanian lower handguards with pistol grips carved onto them.  They are wood, not synthetic, though.  Work fine.

2. Do what the Commies do: use the mazazine as a handgrip when auto fire makes the lower handguard too hot to touch.  We discourage that by our soldiers because holding the mag on an M-16 can affect the seating and feeding, but AK mags are stuck in there more solidly.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#9]
The PMC are not to be issued weapons.  So there is no organized effort by the military to get them weapons or parts for weapons.  But the PMCs do get shot at and ambushed.  So they arm themselves anyway they can.  The training camp is far away from places where major AK confiscation were taking place.  So they dont have much selection of rifles and/or parts to choose from.  

Sorry if I came hard on you.  I am just worried about my friend safety.  

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats ok I see kavar has romanian plastic lower pistol grips/handgaurds...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No need to get harsh...Ive seen pics of weapons stock piles and looks like they got a shit load of parts.....And anyways I put my ass on the line every day so every one can do the precious WAL-Mart shopping....

Hey, thanks for letting me go to Walmart today bud.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#12]
OZ,
Heres what I bought from tacticalgears.com

I melted the lower with 350 rounds (freakin took forever to get that crap off my rifle!!!)

I kept the upper which is one of the best buys I could have ever made. Heat dissipates really fast. You'd think it'd be worse with steel, but since its so perforated, heat dissipation is super quick!!! I remember the original woods almost caught on fire on me!!! HEE HEE HEE!! And they stayed hot longer than this upper!! I just wish I could have bought 'JUST' that. Not the whole piece of crap package.

Anyway...the second thing to bonk on me was the vert! It got hot and FELL OFF!! Partly because the bolt that held it in place was so freakin small that it looked like a needle!!!  

I  solved that by adding a bigger bolt and some side plates to compress the whole assembly!!!

But goddamn it I wish I could buy something that works for once. I hate this endless modification bullshit!!! Thats partly why I am going to go into the gun parts business myself!!! Frickin make something good dammit!!!

I would suggest looking for a sturdy vert from some 'other' company that will accept weaver/picatinny rail. You'd be better off that way.

As far as the rail goes I just used the one from the crap that I bought from that CRAPPY company! It has slots every 1/2" or so. Really flexible.  Its aluminum so weight isnt an issue.

What may be an issue with Chris is that he will lose his cleaning rod. Theres NO way to get around that. believe me I tried. The clearance is so freakin tight that the nuts just cant be milled down without losing them altogether!!! Sorry on that one!
The K-var synth stocks have really nice heat shields in them too, making it even tighter in that area!!

p.s.   Check out my new post in the hometown boards....named some reactives after you!! HAHAHAH!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top