Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/21/2003 8:43:59 PM EDT
Anyone want to give me a quick schooling on the differences?

The NHM-91 has a 20" barrel, and the RPK has a 24" barrel, but what else?

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
RPK has a larger front trunnion than the NHM-91.

RPK has a nicer bipod than the NHM-91.

I had one of each, but sold the NHM-91 two months ago.  I had it since '92 and ran about 5000 rounds through it.  Man did it bump good.....

You can't go wrong with either one.

KF
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Hrmm...

Well, the reason I'm asking is, I'm getting ready to send a whole mess of stuff to ORF.

In that mess of stuff is an NHM-91 that I'm having them put the Russian Plum synthetic RPK stock set from K-Var on.

So, when I get them back, they'll be pseudo-RPK's.

I've been wheeling and dealing with K-Var for an RPK barrel assembly, which would include the RPK bipod and everything, but I'm wondering if it would end up being cheaper/better to sell the NHM-91 when I get it, and purchase an RPK kit and an OOK receiver and just have that built.

I don't really have any qualms about ripping up an NHM-91 - it's not like they're really that rare or anything.

Just looking at the future, whether I'd be happier with the NHM-91 w/RPK barrel/bipod, or with an OOW receiver RPK kit-build.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#4]
While we are on the subject...I was wondering if it would be possible and legal to build a RPK on a 20gauge Saiga reciver...Way expensive to go with the Vepr..and then still have a slant cut rear...

But IIRC the 20gauge Saigas are built on a rpk rec....buit i'm not sure about the legalities of going from a shotgun to a rifle????
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The amount of work would be extream. A saiga receiver is similar to a rpk receiver, but they are not exactly the same.  Best way to go is to make an RPK receiver yourself. It can be done. That way it will fit without the effort of trying to rework a receiver to fit it. Rework is usually harder than "from scratch".
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
why not just build a vepr into an rpk and do it right?

I was just lookin at the saiga Shot gun...Ive never seen one in person...It looked like it may be a RPK rec..

The Vepr is way too expensive for me to buy just to cut up...
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Hrmm...

Is the RPK barrel going to fit into a NHM-91 trunion?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:24:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool.

No negative effects?

I mean, I bump-fire a rifle every now and then, but it's not a regular thing with me.

I dunno, not as fun as semi-auto and double-taps.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top