Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2003 9:55:08 AM EDT
Question for the builders.  I've heard a class 2 manufacturer can not swap a trunnion on a preban weapon and maintain its preban status because by changing the trunnion you are "creating" a new gun.  So is there any problem doing this with a postban gun?  I'm considering a project but don't want to use a US receiver (I've heard all the arguments), but all the foreign ones have trunnions attached.  Hoping Troy, ORF, Jayson at IGF, or Randy at Independence might be able to answer this.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
This generated a heated debate among "build it yourselfers" as well as Gunsmiths.....

Do us all a favor and read this thread, and if you have any questions afterwards, then repost.

Take care,

KF

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=58351
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
OK my head hurts now.

So it sounds like Inrange says you can not remove a trunnion from even a POST ban rifle, install a new trunnion and build a post ban compliant rifle.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Some gunsmiths do.....and some gunsmiths don't....

InRange will not remove/replace/alter trunnions, serial numbers, or import markings the way I understand it.

KF
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#4]
please take a look at this thread as well www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=57955&w=searchPop

I still have not heard a single legally substantiated argument why you can't do it.  You should keep in mind though, that if the receiver doesn't have a serial number on it, technically, you should transfer the serial number from the trunnion to the receiver before you remove the trunnion.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh man, is there ever a lot of debate about this.

My reccomendation, unless someone gets a letter from the ATF saying otherwise, is, if the foriegn rifle/receiver places the serial number on the trunion, and that serial number is also NOT on the rifle, leave the trunion alone.

That's the "playing it safe" route that a lot of people go to.

If you have a serial number factory marked on the receiver, I don't think too many people would have a problem replacing the trunion.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top