[#1]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#4]
These pics made the rounds last winter.

But they are still pretty fantastic. Thanks Ken.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:06:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
These pics made the rounds last winter.

But they are still pretty fantastic. Thanks Ken.

agreed.

Sometime, I'll tell you how the sheep got on top of the......oh, nevermind...it's a "boring war story" and takes longer to spin than contrails explanations.....
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny but this did happen to a bear last week in PA.  The bear was feeding from a dumpster in back of a restaurant and was spooked by a dog, went up a utility pole and was fried by 19,000 volts causing the lights to flicker in the town.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of deer is that?  With ears like that?  With hindquarters like that?  Short, stubby, powerful hind legs?

Hey, it COULD be a deer, (Believe me, I haven't seen to many deer in person!) but to me, it looks more like one of the short tailed varieties of wallaby.

I'm sure that SOME snow falls in Australia from time to time.

If that IS a deer, would someone be so kind as to tell me what kind it is?

CJ

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
You know, come to think about it, those lines are typical of the ones you find along railroad tracks.  Hmmm!

Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What kind of deer is that?  With ears like that?  With hindquarters like that?  Short, stubby, powerful hind legs?

Hey, it COULD be a deer, (Believe me, I haven't seen to many deer in person!) but to me, it looks more like one of the short tailed varieties of wallaby.

I'm sure that SOME snow falls in Australia from time to time.

If that IS a deer, would someone be so kind as to tell me what kind it is?

CJ

Wallabees and their cousins the Kangaroos have long tails.  That is a whitetail there missing part of its hind legs courtesy of a freight train perhaps?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Fair enough,  if it weren't for the ears and the shape of the head.  Still looks a bit un-deerlike to me, but what do I know?  Being smashed by a train and thrown up onto a power pole (Maybe fifteen feet...wow!) can probably reshape a lot of you.

I'm amazed it ended up there.  

CJ
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Those are some very old looking power lines, still have glass insulators......
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#15]
In many sparsely populated areas of the plains states, (Nebraska, the Dakotas, etc) ancient poles, lines, and glass insulators are not at all unusual to find still in service even now. Why invest money in upgrading these service structures when they do the job they're designed for, are virtually trouble free, and there's not yet any demand for upgraded service?

I guarantee one thing:  the phone and power companies won't upgrade these lines until it gets to the point where it's the best choice for them from a financial standpoint.  Maintenance vs. revenue.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Now there is something you don't see every day.

It does look like a Western state and not MD, though.  That type of system exists all around where I live.  I have some of those very same insulators on my workbench.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top