Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/14/2003 1:51:12 PM EDT
I have been lurking for quite sometime, and finally took the listers advise to buy a SAR1.It appears as I have waited to long as all the decent priced ones my dealer located are GONE!The only resonable one he can locate available is a fixed side folder SAR1.Is this rear stock setup useable or junk?Looks like same SAR as fixed stock, except for Clintonized parts on rear.He also located a few Russian Izmash guns,how are these?I havn't read much posted about them.My dealer has a WASR10 for $365,but from what I'm getting from you guys is it ain't a SAR.Comments please,Jeff
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#2]
i just got a Russian Izhmash as my first AK.  The fit and finish is great and shoots pretty well. 7 mags no hiccups in 500 rounds.  Like i said, I just got it.  I'm pretty sure its a, gulp, Hesse conversion.  There are no visible welds and everything looks great, but the stock feels like a toy gun stock, pretty hollow sounding plastic.  I got mine from Southern Ohio Gun.  The K-var Bulgy waffles work great in them.

Just some thoughs, but I'm no expert.  I'm sure people here on the dark side will help you as they have helped me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I am reading this to mean that the only gun actually in his shop is the WASR, and the rest he found a way to order. WASRs start as 10rnd single stack capacity guns, and are converted with a variety of quality or even kwality. Besides the usual spot checks for Romy builds, the mag well area is your concern. If the mag is not floppy, just a bit loose for speed of mag changes in combat conditions, it may be a good deal. But you won't really know until you cycle some rounds thru it to make sure there are no bad feed angle issues.

Otherwise where have you looked to order?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#4]
RS39,yes you are correct.My dealer has the WASR on the wall,magwell on it is a little bit loose.He called AIM surplus and they stated they were out of SAR's,next stop was Southern Ohio Gun,who did have some laminated SAR's but were all gone by the time we ordered one.They do have some of the wire type fixed folding SAR's and the Izhmash's on hand.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#5]
www.gunsnammo.com/index_files/riflesmain2.htm

I stuck my original SAR1 10rnd mag (since my 30rnd mags are a mystery mix) and measured about a full 1/8" of left-right wiggle at the end of the mag, and about half as much in the fore-aft wiggle. At least you have a reference point; not sure how much is too much.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Or you could get in on the SEAK  group buy....Just a thought. Might be more money than you want to spend though and in 5.45.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Those SAR's that SOG sells have the fixed folder that tapco sold.I had one before on a SAR-1.They can be easily removed and probably sold on Ebay to buy yourself a nicer solid stock.$365 is alot to pay for a WASR.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top