Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/6/2003 6:12:14 AM EDT
I'm new so bear with me, please.

I just got a Saiga Russian Izhmash from Southern Ohio Gun.  No canted GB or FSB.  Fit and finish is awesome.  Black plastic furniture and everything looks great.  The stock feels like a toy gun stock, but oh well.

My QUESTION is...it came with a little metal piece in the box.  It looks like a punch, or a really fat firing pin.  It looks like  a needle and probably not strong enough to be a punch.

I can try and get a pc up, but it won't be until I go back to work.

Any help would be great.  Is it to push out trigger pins or sonething?

thanks gang
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm new so bear with me, please.

I just got a Saiga Russian Izhmash from Southern Ohio Gun.  No canted GB or FSB.  Fit and finish is awesome.  Black plastic furniture and everything looks great.  The stock feels like a toy gun stock, but oh well.

My QUESTION is...it came with a little metal piece in the box.  It looks like a punch, or a really fat firing pin.  It looks like  a needle and probably not strong enough to be a punch.

I can try and get a pc up, but it won't be until I go back to work.

Any help would be great.  Is it to push out trigger pins or sonething?

thanks gang

you got it... it is a punch for the pins..
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Gas port cleaning tool. Never heard of one actually needing to be used however.

Stock sounds like a Hesse conversion (relax it started Russian) to miltary config, and the stock is budget US parts count. If you find no heat sheilding in the front handguards, consider KVAR.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Gas port cleaning tool. Never heard of one actually needing to be used however.

Stock sounds like a Hesse conversion (relax it started Russian) to miltary config, and the stock is budget US parts count. If you find no heat sheilding in the front handguards, consider KVAR.

Yep he is correct I forgot all about the gas port tool...like mentioned... I never had to use it..
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep,its for cleaning out the gas port.You won't actually need it unless you drop your AK in about 2 feet of mud and leave it overnight or if you only clean it after 10,000 rnds of wolf.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Aha, thanks gentlemen!  I've got 1k of Wolf coming.  Can't wait to shoot it.  I hope its not a Hexxe conversion.  I got a stack of high caps that fit, so I doubt Hesse did it!  The pistol grip is solid, too.
I remeber some paperwork in the box that went over the US parts count.  I'll check it and see if it says who did the conversion.

thanks again!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
No, I'm afraid it is a Hesse conversion.  Does it have a normal Saiga front end on it with a muzzle brake?

Is this the gun in question?

Despite that, I wouldn't worry about it.  If everything is straight then you should be fine, as the touchy parts were already done in Russia.

Also, replace the crappy Hesse stock quick!  

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if it is a Hesse,shoot it and enjoy it.If something breaks,there are enough competent Smiths here to straighten it out.Contact Freedom Optics for a PSO scope to go with that rail and you'll be set.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats the gun.  As soon as my ammo gets here, I'm taking a trip to the range to try it out.  Little disappointed its a Hesse, but I wanted an entry level Ak and didn't want to spend a mint like my AR.  If it shoots and feeds reliably I'll be happy.  Everything is on there straight, so I think I'm in good shape.

Any suggestions for a replacement stock?  I'm still a newbie and i believe rear trunions or the receiver type has something to do with what stock you can get.  I'd want to keep it blk plastic, though.  I'm sure k-var can help.  They just hooked me up with a bunch of mags.

thanks again, guys
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#9]
 Gun dealer friend over in West Virginia picked one up from SOG a while back.  He actually got two of them and sold one to  a local for 700bucks. We took his other one out to his club. it shot pretty good with no malfunctions if I remember correctly. But Not as accuate as my  two early Maadis or Sar1 or Sar2. But Thats my take on  them. I just prefer the  classic AK look.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top