Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 10:55:28 AM EDT
Thought I would share pics of an MMG (dewatt) AK-74 I bought in Moscow. This one has pinned barrel parts and an 81 dated trunnion. I am going to be cutting it up for parts to send off to a friend. I only do this for him, so please dont ask. Before someone calls the local ATF office to report me, I am an American soldier stationed in Germany. Receivers are not restricted here.  

Dressed up in beat up stock set, same one friend is getting-(came with an AKM set)

Front site base (came with modern comp)

Gas block

Rear site-

Receiver pics-

Selector markings-

Trunnion markings-

Trigger bumps-

As I bought it, the only original parts was the barreled action. The rest of the parts were modern stuff.
My friend and I came to the conclusion that it was probably a left over or reject from the old days. They probably stole all the easily removable parts like the dust cover, comp and so on, then dumped it on a box. Only to dig it out 20+ years later to make an MMG out of it.

Here is another one I kept. Basically the same, except the trunnion markings were ground down. It came with a plum stock set, but I have since dressed it with a nice wood set. The handguards dont match the buttstock, but this is intentional as its common on the prototype.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice pics and a nice weapon to boot..

To bad it has to be cut down to leave the country...I take it it's going back as a parts kit?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Stotman,  

You man to say that anyone in Europe or Germany can buy one of these "demilled" AKs?

How many Euros do they cost?

Vato
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
what's the deal with the left side hole for the selector lever pivot? that looks 'different' for some reason.

One word: Vodka
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Where yo been CAMPY that left side selector indentation has been standard since about 1978.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Killer Pics !!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

KF
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Stottman, you gotta find me a laminate '74 upper!  

Well, you don't "gotta" but it would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
that thing has almost as much gap between the dust cover and the selector as an oow receiver.  very cool though. i wish that is what our demilled rifles looked like. how much does somthing like that cost over there?
                    later  jay
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the pics Robb,is the BG15 still active or has it been demilled also?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
The Russian demill standards are pretty though. About the only good parts left are the barrel parts, muzzle brake, stock set,top cover and recoil spring. Everything else has been demilled in one form or another.

Yes, anyone in Europe can by one of these. They are popular with collectors becuase real guns are such a pain to get. Some countries you must shoot the thing on a regular basis, or they can revoke your license. Prices in Germany average about $550 for an AK, depends on the country it came from. Yugos are the cheapest, Bulgarians, Hungarians and so on are mid range, and East German are the most expensive- about $800.
Here is a site to buy them in Germany-
www.teilesatz.de. I buy my Russian ones straight from Russia. Prices start at about $120 for a modern AK-74M, to about $250 for a AKSU-74 (already posted pics of mine awhile ago). Shipping is the expensive part-its a flat $400.

I have a AKM dust cover on in the pic-probably why it looks weird.  

The GP30 is demilled also. Bought this one from FSU in England, as my supplier in Russia (only one with the connections to send stuff out)didnt have any as he is in Izhvesk.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#12]
what qualifies as a demill in europe?  don't they have different standards/procedures then the USA?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
In Europe, the barrel and bolt are the restricted parts. So they are welded, cut or drilled so to be useless. The receiver is not restricted, so its left alone.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the barrel trunion still good?  You could get good money for Russian arsenal marked trunions in the states.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The trunnion is screwed. The Russian demill standards are pretty tough. They demill the barrel, bolt, bolt carrier, gas piston, magazine, trunnion locking lugs, triggerparts and sometimes the ejector.

I have been trying to get some Russian marked trunnions from Russia, but it is not looking good. The only real source for parts is the MMGs, and they have demilled ones.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Are the trunnions beyond repair?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, they are toast. Locking lugs milled off like Stot said.... why bother with that mess?
Invest the time and money into a good quality Izhmash stamp (I'm not too big a fan of engraving) and do up some Bulgarian trunions into Russian. Your life ain't worth an arrow and a triangle.
-C
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Just curious,I was'nt sure about the extent of the de-milling process.Where might one find an Izhmash stamp?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Izhmash!

hehehe, sorry, I meant have a stamp and die place make one for you... or send your gun off to a gunsmith that engraves these markings...
(see a recent post by Ekie)

-C
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top