Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2003 7:33:48 AM EDT
there is a lot of refinishing stuff on ebay. they claim to be able to do it in your home without oven drying. anyone know anything about this. the stuff is cheap, only $15 for the kit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#2]
heres one of the kits im talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569121465&category=633
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive done two AK's.Spray paint.I did one with Wally world ceramic engine paint 500 + degrees. Its satisfactory . $5 a can. I did the next with Brownells Alumi hide II flat black. It turned out very good. I degreased with brake cleaner,scrubbed with a tooth brush, baked it at 300 for 30 minutets to get more grease and oil baked out and then while very warm sprayed it. I let it cyre for nearly two weeks anbd its a very duriable paint. Thumbs up for Alumi hide II. Brownells has it. WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
heres one of the kits im talking about

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2569121465&category=633

Made link hot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Refinished the wood. Ak USA refinished my steel. They did an amazing job. They really do quality work.
Sorry the picture is so bad. It really does it no justice.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Between me and a buddy we have used the following: AlumiHyde II (good finish but bubbled off the barrel after firing several mags), Brownells Teflon Moly (I liked it but it scratches easily without doing it over parkerizing, but the OD is a puke color YUK!), Gun Coat (strong finish and has been my favorite), DuraCoat (another one I like as it is easy to apply and if done over parkerizing is very strong).
As to at home park kits, don't know. My Dad made a nice stainless tank we do all ours in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What I want to know is how to paint my orange bakelite mags black!!! any suggestions????
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#8]
you guys that did the spray can method:do you remove the saftey/selector swirch or anything else?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I used Dupli-Color High Heat (1500 deg.) engine paint- flat black. I was really impressed with the results.

Degreasing is the single most important step in getting a nice finish. I disassembled the major components (including the safty lever)and scrubed everthing with brake cleaner. Then I baked the parts in the oven at 300 deg. to help leach out oil that the brake cleaner couldn't reach.

Follow it with another dose of brake cleaner. Let dry. Don't touch any parts with your bare hands. Hang parts with wire. Follow directions on back of the can. Allow at least a day before you bake the finished parts in the oven for the final curing process.

Take your time...have a beer or two.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#10]
i've got some stupid questions.  don't know so i gotta ask.  the oven you are using to prep your stuff or to do the final curing, is it the same oven that you prepare food in?  i'm not trying to be a smart ass, i just want to know if i need to buy a yard sale oven; and seriously, does it affect the flavor of your food or the functing of your oven afterwards?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes...same oven. It might smoke a little, but the smell doesn't hang around very long. Open a door or window and turn on the range fan. A burnt pizza gives off way more smoke and odor than the paint does. Will not affect your food taste in the slightest.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
oh, good i was afeerd i might wake up speakin' romanian, bulgarian, or chinese.  just depended on which one i was bakin' the night before.h.gifh.gif
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I have two SAR 2s that I finished in Alumahyde 2. One came out outstanding and is holding up very well. The other one I had problems with. For some reason the selector lever scraped some of it off the side of the receiver. So I sent off to be profesionally parkerized after trying it twice with  the Alumahyde 2. I also did an AMD-65 in it and it came out very well so maybe it was just that particular rifle didn't take too well to the Alumahyde.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
mmsig229, on your bakelite mags, lightly sand after a good degreasing and I have had good luck with Alumihyde II, as well as DupliColor truck bed liner (spray on with several light coats from about 3ft away and it gives it a nice rough texture)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top