Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/31/2003 1:28:39 PM EDT
I've got both the Polish and Bulgarian 7.62 styles of synthetic mags for the AK.  I like both kinds enough that I've selling off my steel mags.  However, I read on the other side of this board how AR synthetic mags like Thermolds and Orlites have drawbacks that make them less desirable than the standard alloy types: melting after extended periods of firing, cracking in cold temperatures, and sensitivity to dirt and fouling that gets into the magazine itself.  Is there anyone who's really tested the limits of the AK synthetics?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've got both the Polish and Bulgarian 7.62 styles of synthetic mags for the AK.  I like both kinds enough that I've selling off my steel mags.  However, I read on the other side of this board how AR synthetic mags like Thermolds and Orlites have drawbacks that make them less desirable than the standard alloy types: melting after extended periods of firing, cracking in cold temperatures, and sensitivity to dirt and fouling that gets into the magazine itself.  Is there anyone who's really tested the limits of the AK synthetics?

Remember it's an AR not an AK.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Where to start? The 5.56x45 round is hotter to begin with, and a greater percentage of the AR mag is sleeved up in the receiver instead of in open air. The straighter casing of the 5.56 round generates more feeding challenges than the x39 round's tapered shape, so the tolerances care more about dirt. Canadian Thermelts were made without the Zytel that stregthens other AR poly mags.

I am sure others will add more. I enjoy several Thermolds for AR range mags since I do not worry about bending feed lips on them. But this matters less with the LULA.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Waffle mags appear to be much thicker than either Thermold or Orlite magazines, and they are steel reinforced.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Blanks melt Thermelts, not live rounds.

Blanks won't fully obtrude (seal) like real rounds and you get alot of soot blowing back from the chamber into the action.  This is also why blanks foul so badly and are so dirty.

On an M-14, you must have a shield that clips on the cartridge guide to shield your eyes from blank residue.

The hot sooty gasses blow directly onto the feed lips and in full auto fire where the mag cannot cool between shots, can melt the mags feed lips.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Orlites also have embedded metal mesh at the top of the magazine (including the feed lips) to aid in heat dissipation.  The other difference is that you won't have as much hot gas blowing into the receiver with a gas piston action as you would with a gas impingement system.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Orlites also have embedded metal mesh at the top of the magazine (including the feed lips) to aid in heat dissipation.  The other difference is that you won't have as much hot gas blowing into the receiver with a gas piston action as you would with a gas impingement system.

Has nothing to do with melting thermelts.  It is gasses slipping past the cartridge case straight from the chamber.  The impingment system on the AR blows it mainly above the bolt carrier, not toward the magazine.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top