Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/31/2003 4:19:10 AM EDT
I do know RED DAWN played a role in making AK-47s popular, but there were others...

The movie that made me a AK nut was: The Park Is Mine, with Tommy Lee Jones(1986)
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
From my best recollection, the best AK movies that had an effect on me (in no certain order):

Red Dawn
(because they just looked to damn cool with the AKs)

Red Scorpion
(because the way Dolph Lundgren used the bipod on the RPK as a foregrip/handle)

Navy Seals
(because of the urban warfare scene and the RPKs just have that "thud" sound when they fired)
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm searching the web for you bro...

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I had some inspiration by the movie The Amateur,but a few scenes in other movies really boosted my moral  like in Rambo II,The Park is mine,Navy Seals. Jeepcreep,I don't have the Wounded Knee pic but I may have a similar one from the Canadian uprising.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:03:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Friend of mine bought a toy AK and carved his "kills" into the stock just like the kid in Red Dawn after we saw that movie.

"All that hate's gonna burn you up, kid."

"Heh, keeps me warm at night."
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't any movie, it was my fathers copy of the AK-47 story and his Clayo AKS.

The Kollector
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mine wasn't a movie. My love affair started with the picture of the American Indian uprising at Wounded Knee.

I would love to find a copy of that pic....

Tons of info here.....

www.aics.org/WK/index.html
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:19:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
From my best recollection, the best AK movies that had an effect on me (in no certain order):

Navy Seals
(because of the urban warfare scene and the RPKs just have that "thud" sound when they fired)

I've never seen an RPK fired. How accurate was the sound change portrayed there?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably Platoon,

The scene where Charlie Sheen does Tom Berenger's character in with one.   Red Dawn comes to mind too.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Jackie Brown...

"AK-47... the very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got  to kill every mother@#$%er in the room... accept no substitutes."
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:21:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Must have been Red Dawn......and Platoon(loved those Type56 rifles with the folding spike bayonet).
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mine wasn't a movie. My love affair started with the picture of the American Indian uprising at Wounded Knee.

I would love to find a copy of that pic....

How long ago did you see the pic?  I would bet dollars to doghnuts that you saw a pic from the early 90s war between the Mohawks and the Canadian Army.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Im surprised no one mentioned RAMBO PART 3 :)

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Damm link died!

here's one...Rambo with a AMD!

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Navy Seals

I've never seen an RPK fired. How accurate was the sound change portrayed there?

I will have to watch the movie again, but the deep thud sound was an earcatcher.....

KF
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#18]
But the movie that really clinched it for me....

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Red Dawn and Platoon

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
But the movie that really clinched it for me....

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=14924&iGalleryUnq=443&iImageUnq=19318

She should pull the trigger on that Hungarian baby...She might just like it...I would!!!!

P.S. Look at the guy in the background...He's saying to himself "Boy I would love to have that rifle"
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn that monsters ugly,I've seen Aliens many a time ,don't remember any Kalishnikovs in it though.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:49:13 PM EDT
[#22]
The Beast with Jason Patrick and Target with Gene Hackman were also good AK movies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Navy Seals

I will have to watch the movie again, but the deep thud sound was an earcatcher.....

KF

Navy Seals for the same reason as KF.  And I wisn I could call on "God" when I'm in a jam.

RED DAWN.  Taught me to carve my watermellon kills in the butt stock.  Just like the Gunny.  An now some pumkin kills, too.

Guns in general,  THE SOLDIER
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#24]
It was a training film in the early 70's...and one-h***-of- a- lot- more interesting than the "V D" flicks with lecture from the Chaplain.....
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Same movie that Krinkfreaks signature came from!

Clint Eastwood firing controlled burts from a shiny AKM with reddish wood and  a glossy black finish.

It helped that I was already a big Clint Eastwood fan.

BTW:  You forgot the last part of the quote "... so remember it"  

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Damn that monsters ugly,I've seen Aliens many a time ,don't remember any Kalishnikovs in it though.

[Homestar Runner]That monster's gonna give me nightmares[/Homestar Runner]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Goldeneye....it was a Krink, but I knew I had to have one.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Red Dawn and Missing in Action started me off...Platoon, Full Metal Jacket and Heartbreak Ridge rounded it up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:36:28 AM EDT
[#29]
My vote is with Red Dawn, but I'll throw another one out that made me think "damn thats a cool rifle", as a kid:

Iron Eagle-
  Nothing like Jason Gedrick and Lou Gossit Jr. taking on David Suchet and the entire IDF Agressor force manned by those swarthy middle-eastern....Hebrews. Who were they supposed to be? Syrians? Lebonese? Who cares, they flew Kfirs, er, MiG-23s armed with "French missiles" and their leader was that wonderfuly horrid little.... Arab..Indian..French...anyone? issueing such lines as "I want these peegs blown out of the sky", and "I want these people destroy-ed". There were dozens of sceens of these guys in their grey IDF reserve uniforms and IDF helmets carrying what I'm sure were captured Kalashnikovs, but the best one was the long-barreled Maadi RPK equipped 'sniper' who shoots Jason's dad through the shoulder (hero wound!, hero wound!).

It was this movie that made me want to join the USAF and was responcible for my stellar 21 day career at the USAFA in Colorado Springs....all things considered, I'm glad I'm an E-4 in the WA_ARNG now instead of a desk jocky for the USAF...

well, I'm off, PT this morning and all...
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#30]
For Me it was Di-Fi holding that folder with the  75 round drum and saying I can't have it. That One moment in time turned me into a AW buying freak. I will be buying the EVIL  rifles till I can no longer afford them, or they are banned.
Hope she understands that the AWB caused me to buy MORE of the "EVIL" bullet hoses.  What a dried up old BITCH.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't think a movie did it, but Red Dawn was one of my favorite movies growing up. The AK-47 seemed like the most practical rifle to me. Reliability is my chief concern in a battle rifle. Hard to beat the ammo prices. That increases training and therefore the effectiveness of the weapon. The list goes on and on. AK's are just hard to beat.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top