Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/28/2003 1:12:37 PM EDT
I was on another board when sombody posted this link on manipulating the AK/ Manual of arms.

Some neat info on tactical reloads and such from Gabe Suarez and others.

www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=95
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Good info!

Thanks.

SD
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#4]
My pleasure guys - glad I could return the favor from all the AK info I've learned from this side of the forum.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I will state up front that I'm no Gabe Suarez, Jack Furr, or Giles Stock. I don't even know Jack Furr or jack squat. I'm just a guy with a PACT timer and too much time on my hands. However, much as with a drunken monkey throwing darts at a board, once in a while just noodling around with things will score something. Here is what Mr. PACT has taught me insofar as working around the AK's ergonomic deficiencies (deliberate design features, actually).

Safety/selector manipulation: Step one; wrap nylon fishing lead around the lever. This will eliminate the annoying (and potentially embarrassing) "clunk" when the lever goes full-on or full-off. It also makes lever travel much smoother and can now be accomplished easily with one finger. I didn't author this. I plagiarized it from a former South African commando I ran in to. Step two: Run with your trigger finger on the safety. It's easy. I have the much-fatter-than-stock M249 grips on all my AK's and very small hands. The time from safety-off to finger on the trigger is a tad slower than with an AR but this is a non-binding constraint. In any event, you will have the safety off and your finger on the trigger long before you've brought the rifle up from low ready, centered the sights, and made your shoot/don't shoot decision.

Reloads: These instructions are suited to normal human beings. Those of you with the birth defect of having your right hand on the wrong side of your body can either have an operation to correct this deformity or adjust the method accordingly. Step one; stone the edges off the mag release lever (you'll see why in a moment). Step two; simultaneously grab the fresh mag with your left hand and roll the rifle 30 or 40 degrees clockwise. Step three; Push the mag release forward with your trigger finger (see). Step four; with your left wrist (fresh mag in hand) knock the old mag forward and out of the gun. Step five; Insert the fresh mag. Step six; Get back in the war. If you have to run the bolt, I've had the best luck with rolling the rifle 90 degrees counterclockwise and running the bolt with my left hand.

That's the best I've been able to come up with so far. Lord knows I'm open to suggestions from people who, unlike myself, have real knowledge to bring to bear on the topic.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I've found that with my SAR 1, I can push the mag release with my left thumb while lowering the muzzle to a low or medium ready. The mag will then rock forward and drop out. Thats if I don't want to retain the mag. If I want to retain the mag, I use my left thumb to hit the mag release but I don't lower the muzzle, and I place it in a pocket, pouch etc. I reach under the gun and work the bolt with the edge of my left index finger. I work the safety with my right index finger while my right hand is on the pistol grip. This works for me and my build. I don't know how it will work for others. Hope this helps.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top