Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/21/2003 5:39:03 AM EDT
I am purchasing my first AK this Friday - a SAR1 -, but looking at the dwindling stocks of SAR2s, I think I want one of them too.  I have a few questions for those who have them.  I already have an M4gery and like the small caliber of the AK-74.

First question is, is a SAR2 accurate or can it be made accurate?  I want to create an AK-74S (or M) type with the Kobra sight (and a weapons light if I can find one).  What is the general consensus on SAR2 accuracy?  Good enough?  Can be made better? Or no hope, get a more expensive AK?  My hesitation is that I am selling my M1 Garand to do this and I want to make sure I get something that I can work with.  I need to be able to purchase both the rifle and the sight with the sale of my Garand.  Is the 74 even a good choice for this?

Second question is, compared to an AR, is the ammo readily available and inexpensive?  One of the biggest hang-ups I have with my Garand is the cost of the ammo (and that it is a pain to clean) and availability.  I want something I can shoot AND use in a home defense situation if I have to (something about a .30 cal bullet and a long 12lb rifle in a HD situation doesn't sit well with me).

Please be honest (not looking for flames though) in your assessment, because this is going to be a big issue for me.

Thanks - Shon
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as acquiring a SAR1 or SAR2....get both.

As far as accuracy......Hey, it's an AK....I use mine to spray lead, plain and simple.  Close quarters??? by all means.

Ammo availability???  Have not seen any problems acquiring cases of 5.45 and I usually see them for 1000 rounds @$99.95 or less.

.30 Caliber M2 round in a home defense situation???  Rifle is too long, plus I would count on that bullet going through a couple of walls before it stopped.....and considering homes manufactured today...look for the round to wind up in your neighbors house....

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Keep the garand(unless it a century arms), save your money and buy both...There will always be tons of Sar wether imported or not...I see the redneck round here gobble them up, but as soon as they need beer money they will be in the pawn shops at a great price..I found a Mak-90 with the cleaning rod and thread caped muzzle for $125 at my pawn shop.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp here is an excellent source for good 5.45 delivered for $85/750
5.45 AKs and ammo are a bit harder to find but easy to work around once you learn a bit. Keep the Garand and jump on the SAR2 if you can. My best groups from rest, 4x scope, improved trigger are 2.5-3" for 5 at 100yds. My Bulgarian custom build is 1/2" smaller groups, cost twice as much, and about as good as an AK gets on 10 cent ammo.
I have about a dozen calibers, and my 5.45 AKs are my favorite guns.
Edit to add: 7.62x39 AKs tend to be 4-5" groups and shoot more of an arc over any distance beyond 150yds, but 8 cent ammo is everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a SAR 2 and you won't be dissapointed. They are difinately more accurate than their bigger brother (7.62) and IMO more fun to shoot. AIM Surplus messed up on my order and sent me two SAR 2s and I never did send one back because they are so inexpensive to purchase and also I like the 5.45 so much and having two of them around means that I can lend one to a friend and still have mine to shoot whenever I go plinking.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep the Garand, or you'll regret it in the future.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Keep the Garand, or you'll regret it in the future.

I know. It's a September 44 Springfield with all matching wood and correct cartouche (barrel is SA-9-50).  Even my wife, who actually dislikes my hobby, told me to keep it.  Go figure?  I guess I am going to keep the Garand and buy a SAR1 this Friday.  I do have three pistols and will sell one of them - a Kahr P9 - to buy the SAR2.  I hate the Kahr anyway.  The Garand was worth more though and I knew I would have enough for a SAR2 AND anything else I wanted for it...

Thanks for all the input folks.  I want to scope the SAR1 and Kobra/WeaponsLight the SAR2.  Looks like I will have to save additional money to do that though :)  Oh the toys...Sometimes this can be so disappointing...

Thanks again - Shon

BTW, has anyone here bought from SHOOTERS WHOLESALE out of Georgia?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:38:25 AM EDT
[#8]
1) Keep the Garand, you'll be glad you did.

2) Get an SAR-2. The more accurate of the SAR's you mentioned.

3) If you have any money left, get an SAR-1.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
No one believes me, but I'll say it again-get an SAR now before the real ones dry up and you're stuck with one with a dragunov stock.

I think Centerfire systems still has SAr-2s if Aim doesn't.

AIM is out of SAR-2's.  I got the last one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Already set the SAR1 in motion from Aim Surplus.  So that's not possible.  As far as the SAR2, how does this sound:

***BuyNow! $339.99*** GET ONE WHILE THEY ARE STILL AVAILABLE! BRAND NEW in the Original Box, a Genuine Romanian AK74 SAR-2 5.45x39 High Capacity Rifle, with THREE(3) 30rd Bulgarian AK-74 Synthetic Mags! This AK74 rifle is chambered for 5.45x39, a flat shooting cartridge that is very similar to our 223 (5.56x45) caliber rifles. These Romanian SAR-2 rifles feature a Hard Chrome Lined Bore, Traditional Pistol Grip & Buttstock, PLUS an AK74 Siderail Base! You get one 10rd mag, the Original Sling, Original Cleaning Kit, an AK74 Manual, PLUS THREE(3) 30RD BULGARIAN SYNTHETIC MAGS!  ***BuyNow! $339.99***  (plus S&H of $24.97 to lower 48)

Does this sound like a good deal?  Centerfire wants 399 for theirs.  This is from Shooters Wholesale out of Georgia.  Any dealings with them?

-- Shon
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought an SAR2 from Centerfire,they have a few left.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just bought an SAR2 from Centerfire,they have a few left.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#14]
$399,when all was said and done,$426.Salesclerk said they weren't going to bring any over any more.WHY IS THAT?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
$399,when all was said and done,$426.Salesclerk said they weren't going to bring any over any more.WHY IS THAT?

Century did nto renew their contract with the Romys. My guess is that until the 2004 AWB sunset is cleared or replaced, there is no sense contracting when you do not know what will be an allowed configuration.
I expect them back just not in 2004.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Did it.  Just bought a SAR-1 and SAR-2.  Kept the Garand and sold the Kahr.  They will hopefully arrive sometime next week?  Now for the extra toys list.  Good place for ammo anyone?  Triggers are next, then scopes, then red dots, then brakes, then - oh no - I can already feel the habit forming...this isn't good...

--Shon
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#17]
GUn shows are often best due to no shipping, but compare to ammunitionstore.com (local for me) or ammoman.com and dansammo.com for great service and upfront pricing for shipping to the eastern areas.
Keep in mind that SAR trigger groups are cheap US compliance parts and all vary, and so will your satisfaction with them. If they are different or 'off' just type to us.
Welcoem aboard!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top