Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/18/2003 1:21:18 PM EDT
I have heard/read that the Yugos do not have a chrome lined barrel.
Is this true and what about the chamber ?
If they don't, why not ?  That was one of the things that made the AK so reliable.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think they do, but at the same time they are supposed to be the finest of the Kalashnikovs so I wouldn't worry about it.

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, no chrome lined anything for the Yugoslavs.

They do tend to be more accurate than a "standard" AK with a chrome lined barrel.

Why didn't the Yugoslavs chrome?  Who knows.....

I did find a noticeable differance in accuracy with my underfolder Yugo.  It was more accurate than an Arsenal Inc. SA-M7, which is saying alot.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I think I might go for the Hungarian instead. I really like the Yugo but IMO, I would rather have the reliability and durability that comes with chrome plating versus a small increase in accuracy.  
My SSR85B is quite accurate when compared to others I've shot and it has both the chamber and barrel chrome plated.
After all, thats what the AK is all about, right ??  reliability, durability ??
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I would personally go for the Yugo.  They are really well respected, and seeing as how this isn't going to be your only AK you might want to consider how unique the type is.  It's not like your going to make it your "truck gun" or anything, and I assume you would be up to cleaning it after each shooting session even if it were chrome lined.  

So basically what I'm getting at is that although the Hungarians are awesome, it's hardly going to be anything new when you already have basic AKM type AKs.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure but arent the yugos that are marked M-90 considered Machine guns by the ATF? I've been seeing a bunch of M-90 marked guns but I thought I heard they are illegal soemwere?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The Yugoslav AK's are of very high quality, extreme attention to detail added w/ excellent craftsmanship. The early and mid model Yugo AK's were not chrome lined but they did start chrome lining the bores of their AK's with the M80 series through.

The Yugoslav M-76 rifles are the ones that have drawn attention due to the auto safety sear.

Get the Yugo!

The Kollector
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone know if the first M-76 rifles that were imported had the auto safety sear installed? I've heard that models were imported during the late 80's, or were the models that recently have been seen for sale the only ones?

The Kollector
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Chrome plated barrels are highly overrated, especially on a semi-auto AK with its low powered round which is not known for barrel erosion.  If you were shooting a lot of full auto or if you were in the tropics and never had a chance to clean your gun for weeks on end, it may have some value.  It even has some value with corrosive ammo, but in general, for your purposes, it's overkill.  Do yourself a favor and get the Yugo.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe so, but my non-chromed Yugo 59/66 is a pain in the bloody ass for barrel corrosion. For some reason once I shoot a corrosive batch of ammo, I have to clean the damn thing like I'm getting it ready for inspection, or else it rusts up good.

Hope the AKs are a little bit more resistant, or that country (or whats left of it) is full of smoothbore AKs
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies and thiey brought another question to mind.
Can the barrel be replaced with a chrome lined one of equal or greater quality ?
Come to think of it, does anyone make top quality barrels for AK's like they do for AR's ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Maybe so, but my non-chromed Yugo 59/66 is a pain in the bloody ass for barrel corrosion. For some reason once I shoot a corrosive batch of ammo, I have to clean the damn thing like I'm getting it ready for inspection, or else it rusts up good.

Hope the AKs are a little bit more resistant, or that country (or whats left of it) is full of smoothbore AKs

I don't see any reason why you should have to shoot corrosive ammo with non-corrosive Russian ammo being so cheap.

Spectre, I don't think you would ever want to replace the barrel on a valuable Yugoslavian AK.  

I wouldn't worry about the lining either.  You will never have to use corrisive ammo in it if you don't want to.  

As was said before, these are very fine AKs, and have proven themselves in combat many times.  You can be confident in the reliability.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#12]
AJer, four rounds of surplus Chicom copper cased stuff one day out of about 500 rounds when I was breaking one of my NIB 59/66s in :( Eventually sold the gun to a guy who was going to treat the whole system to get the crap out. Stuff is like cancer. Only SKS I've got now is an Albie I got yesterday. Funky-ass-gun.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Really? Wow, I guess that's good enough to keep me away from it forever.  

BTW: I think those Albanians are pretty sweet looking.  They remind me very much of a Gew/Kar.43.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#14]
A trip north of the border and you will be able to find the Yugo M-70B1  for about $400 canadian.  The B2 costs a bit more for the underfolder.

Excellent rifle to say the least.  A must have for the AK affectionado.

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is the M-79 in action.  Notice the grenade siting apparatus.

http://www.vj.yu/img/ilustracije/Fotografije/izlozba/Normal/1-v.jpg
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#16]
CRVENA ZASTAVA  m-21

http://www.oruzje.co.yu/puske/zastava/m21/zastava_m21_01.jpg

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#17]
M-76

http://naoruzanje.paracin.co.yu/m76.jpg

M-85

http://naoruzanje.paracin.co.yu/m85-2.jpg

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top