Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/16/2003 6:22:07 PM EDT
Just got my new AK.  It is a Romanian SAR-1 from AIM.  The gun looks OK, but I can't live with the wood. It is better than many AKs I have seen, but I want to sand and finsh the furniture.

Removing the handguards was easy, however, getting the butt stock off is proving beyond me.  I removed the two wood screws from the top of the reciever.  I also looked for screws under the pistol grip but none to be found.  One instruction I read suggested coaxing it with a rubber mallet, but that didn't work either.  

Any suggestions?

PS - An amazingly simple and elegant design...hard to believe it works!...now I understand the attraction
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
A screw does hold the pg on to the gun, it is just up there a bit and needs the right light angle to be seen. While you consider where/how to whack it loose, try sites like KVAR and Global for Bulgy take-off wood. There is often surprisingly good wood under SARs, but nothing like the Bulgy wood.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome aboard Eric.

I bought my first AK, also an SAR-1, about a month ago. They really are simple, aren't they? Here's a great site - book mark it, you'll love it. linx310.nothingbutguns.com/ Check for the stock removal article.

However, with mine I stripped the bolt & carrier out of it and put a foot long wooden dowel against the buttstock and hammered the stock off. The laminated wood looks real good with a decent sanding and finish. I added a little cherrywood stain to mine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I put a screwdriver through the big hole in the rear trunion and just use it like a pry bar to push the stock off.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:04:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the Dark Side.

Yes, taking the wood off a SAR is a definite challenge....

Let us know how it turns out....and what part of your hand got injured....HA!

Take care,

KF
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I put a screwdriver through the big hole in the rear trunion and just use it like a pry bar to push the stock off.

Quoted:
yup, the old 'prybar thru the trunnion hole' trick works for me.

I had to use a dowel and push the stock out of my receiver because there was no hole to stick a screwdriver through and pry like the link illustrated.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to all.

I got it off, but whew!  I did not have the hole in the trunnion in my version, but I cut a dowel to mate with the stock inside the receiver and wailed on it.  It can out without any damage.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
isn't your sar1 is the late production one?  i thought the furniture is laminated now and look better.  i have seen some ugly ass looking sar1 finish; not only the furniture look like ship-dipped wood but the metal look like it has been handpainted with an ugly brush.

it is still an ak if you don't have the cant stuffs.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]
The foreend was very good wood , just a rough finish.  A fe hours of sanding and a few coats of shellac and now they look like fine furniture.  The butsock is a different story.  The butt still had saw marks in it and the finish appeared to be an oil dip and char kind of thing.  A bunch of sand and shellacing and now it looks good.

Funny thing, if you really sand a piece of bad wood, sometime it reveals that it just a bad piece of wood Now that the wood looks much better, you notice some of the scratches on the receiver.  Any suggestions for touch up?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Birchwood Casey Super Black instant touch up pen, or full blast/park/paint. I have given up anything in between.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two SAR 2s and I refinished both in matte black alumahyde 2 and they came out great. For the furniture, one I sanded down and only applied flat tung oil and the other I sanded down and used Minwax Sedona Red. While the tung oil didn't do anything for color, it looks good and brings out the natural wood grain but the other one with the Minwax is outstanding. It has a subtle red hue to it that's not deep or very dark and doesn't scream at you like some finishes I've seen. It compliments the rest of the rifle perfectly. When I break down and buy a camera I will post pics of them and my other rifles.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:11:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I got my used SAR 1 yesterday. The previous owner hadn't done much more than clean enough cosmoline out to shoot it. I completely stripped it apart last night. (Out in the garage till 1am, wife looking at me like I've lost my mind). I stripped the chocolate brown paint/varnish/whatever the hell it was off with citrus stripper and steel wool. The wood actually has a pretty nice grain. I've got to order some Aluma Hyde, unless someone has another finish they have used that worked well. I'm going to use Minwax Light Oak Polyshades on the wood. I'll post pics when it's finished.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
this may sound crazy and you may not want to do it yet.  i use this rust preventive spray can from walmart to spray under my car to prevent rust.  it is very easy to use black paint.  very nice looking.  as bad as the sar1 finish is, you may want to spray paint it with this stuff.  it look more like blue job than paint.  you may want to do it 3 or 4 years from now.  i did it to the tip of my barrel where it had deep scratch because the previous owner was stupid enough to laid the gun against concrete wall.  he must be very conscript.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top