Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 7:48:49 PM EDT
Can I have an sks rebarreled in 5.45x39?  I'd like to pick up an sks but I'd rather have the flatter shooting 21 cal.  Since the cases are damn near identical can I just rebarrel one?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the know how to rebarrel an SKS and setup the gas system... then do it!

but from a practical standpoint it wouldn't be worth the effort when SAR2s can still be had on the cheap.  

It's a matter of whether or not you are willing to commit the time and energy so you can have a world first.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have a 20" SKS, I would say try and get the best 7.62x39mm ammo you can find and just practice.

My 20" Russian SKS is actually really really accurate out to 200yrds easy. Farhter than that itsd still really accurate.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The main motivation was to get both an sks (which I dont have) and a 5.45 cal weapon. (which I dont have)  I have a sar1 which I'm quite happy with.  2 of my good friends have sks's and they are fun to shoot but I'm in need of a small varmit rifle to clean out all the "unwanted" guests in my pond.  The .30 cal will work but I might as well use my hk if im going to use my sar.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think that "rebarreling" it will do it....you would have to make the bolt. the ejector rail would have to be different as well. then there is the problem with getting the gas system to work well enough for a 5.45.

if you want a 5.45 rifle, get yourself a SAR2, or build a 5.45 AK
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#5]
A straight .220 russian, the base for the 22 PPC, would make a much an easier conversion than a 5.45X39. The .220 Russian uses the 7.62X39 case. You would need a barrel blank, and time and money, but you would have something very unique.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top