User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/12/2003 4:16:49 PM EDT
I want to use this parts kit
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2196283758&category=587&rd=1

and a home made receiver
http://www.acearms.com/products/ak-47/receiver_blank/index.shtml

are they compatible? would I need any extra parts? My dads a machinist so I have a garage full of tools at my disposal.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
First, I would not waste my time with some Jerkoff auctioning off a kit on Ebay.

Get a copy of Shotgun News, source a kit, and get busy with the credit card.

Once you get the kit, source the receiver from your FFL and then pack it up and send to a reputable gunsmith.

Life is too short to mess with a "home-build" and some jerk trying to make the highest buck on his kit.....

Just my thoughts....

Take care,

KF
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If you really want to build a kit for the satisfaction of doing it yourself, then take Krinks advice about getting buying the kit from one of the vendors in Shotgun News, those guys who are selling on Ebay are probably members of this site or others who are trying to get more for thier kit than they could ever get from those of us who know the real value. As far as building your own reciever, if you think you have the skill then knock yourself out, but if you are doing it to save money, don't Decent AK recievers can be had very cheap.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#3]
OOW receivers this weekend at Knob Creek for $59.00

B-West receivers from Dennys Guns at Knob Creek for $100 retail, or $75 for Team AR15 Members....

KF
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#4]
whats a fair price for a kit?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on what kind of AK you want to put together.

Todd of Rapid Fire was inquiring as to whether the board members would be interested in a large purchase of AK-74 kits.  I believe he gave a figure of $140-$160 per kit.

If you are looking for other types....ya gotta break out the Shotgun News and start researching.

Remember....you can never have enough AKs!!!

KF
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
the parts kit i posted has only got up to $60 though. how much would you say it's worth?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
are they compatible?

No.....The kit you referenced is for a milled receiver gun and the bent blank you referenced is for a stamped gun.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
they make one for milled kits too

http://www.acearms.com/products/ak-47/weld_pack/index.shtml
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, but a milled receiver is gonna start at $300.00 bucks. Steer clear of gun kits on E-Bay! You asked us for advice, take it. DON'T BUY AN AK KIT ON EBAY! By far, your best choice is to look thru SGN or GUNLIST, pick out the kit that interests you, and break out the c.c. Make sure the kit you choose is the later AKM style. These all came with the stamped receiver. You can buy a finished stamped receiver for $39.00 for a HESSE from JoeKen arms, $60.00 for OOW/ITM receiver(but these have defects that must be repaired) or the B-WEST receiver for $75.00. The best is the HESSE, the receiver is hardened, oxide-coated, lower rails installed, all axis pin holes drilled and aligned. I like mine so much I ordered 5 more.
So there; You asked for our advice. Do yourself a favor and TAKE IT!
                       OJF
P.S. if you find a kit you like in SGN, ask us about the kit, our likes and dislikes. Somebody here has that same kit. For example, MAK 90's for $99.00 are NOT a good buy. They have no front or rear trunnion and no trigger guard. Those items will cost you an extra $50-$75 to obtain. An AMD65 kit for $105 IS a good buy! A polish PMKMS w/underfolder stock for $159 IS a good buy! That acearms receiver you mention is actually for a stamped kit. Won't work on a milled gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear what you saying, but has any one ever bought a kit off of ebay? some people hear news stories about ebay scams and it turns them off from ebay for ever. I was hoping to hear from some one with experience in what I'm trying to do, but no one has specifically mentioned building there own AK receiver.

I want to build an AK so I have something to do until I ship out November 10th.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Doesn't matter that the ebay kit is ONLY at $60.00. by the time you bid, it will be at 3-4 times that. REPEAT FOR THE ONES UNABLE TO SEE THE WRITING; DON'T BUY A GUN KIT FROM EBAY. ONE OF SEVERAL POSSIBILIES WILL HAPPEN: YOU WILL PAY MORE THAN IT'S WORTH, THE KIT WILL BE A CONGLOMERATION OF LEFTOVERS FROM SEVERAL KITS THAT DON'T FIT, THE SELLER IS SCAMMING YOU, OR ALL OF THE ABOVE!
Go to Roderus gunsmithing for the receiver builders. They thrive on building receivers from scratch. They also will tell you to stay away from ebay.
Now, after all the people who'v advised you to steer clear of ebay, you go ahead and buy from same, don't bother asking our opinion on same. Because you'v already proven that you'r a nutcase, and you don't like advise from well meaning, knowledgeable pro's who have already gone down the path that you are just starting on. They are warning you on what to avoid, because they'v already been there, done that, ect.
                 OJF
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top