Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2003 7:31:59 PM EDT
if they were a little more affordable i would think more seriously of buying a ar47.  what would really turn my crank is if the would make the ar47 receiver that fit the ak74  mag so i could build a 5.45x39 AR.  if i could build a 5.45 AR i would gladly spend the money they are asking for the AR47 lower.  what do you guys think think they would ever build it?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:24:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a 21 ghengis upper from alexander arms.  shoots 545 but runs off a standard ar lower.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get a 21 ghengis upper from alexander arms.  shoots 545 but runs off a standard ar lower.

But it uses modified AR15 mags, not the cheap as dirt bakelite AK74 mags.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:00:39 AM EDT
[#3]
It does not use modified AR mags, where did yo get that?  I own a Genghis, do you?  Standard USGI 30 round mags with the black followers.  Will load around 27 rounds, I stop at 25.  Never a problem with mine.  My vendor table at Gunstock is right next to Alexander Arms, these guys know their shit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
AR-47 = SpeShul WepUns

Enough said!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It does not use modified AR mags, where did yo get that?  I own a Genghis, do you?  Standard USGI 30 round mags with the black followers.  Will load around 27 rounds, I stop at 25.  Never a problem with mine.  My vendor table at Gunstock is right next to Alexander Arms, these guys know their shit.

My mistake.  Same follower?  Still, AK74 mags are much, much cheaper than AR15 mags & more durable to boot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The mag well would need enough material to allow lengthening for the 5.45 mag; shimming the 7.62 well for the narrower 5.45 mag is the easy part. Never seen one in real life to tell.

Love the idea myself, including the Genghis upper. Just have other projects ahead of it and leary of the reasons SW designer Todd Bailey is widely nicknamed Toad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#7]
why only 27 rds in the standard AR Mag?  the 5.45 and 5.56 have the same case head diamter, different boy taper though.  after 27 do you get feed failures?  is Alexander Arms going to make, or do they make a replacment follower?  after looking at pics of the ar-47  i don't like how much material is missing around/behind the front pivot pin.  if you can get a full mag to fee through a standard AR lower/mag combo the Genghis may be the way to go.  better yet i should get off my butt and send in my Bulgy 74 kit to be assembled.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Th greater taper of the 5.45 round stacks up at an unmanagable angle after 25 or so, even in 40rnd mags. The follower just gets too vertical in the mag body; 5.56 mag body is much straighter than the 5.45 mag body.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top