Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2003 2:30:55 PM EDT
New to the ak stuff if I got this kit than get a receiver what else do I need to make it
leagle ... usa stocks red star arms trigger,hook replacment what else if more ?
thanks...
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Bulgarian AK-74 kit requires 6 US parts to be 922r-compliant (due to the threaded barrel/muzzle brake).

The Shephards crook replacement from Red Star Arms doesn't count as a part of a rifle.

The parts in a semi-auto AK are listed here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=55169

The RSA fire control group counts as three parts (Hammer, Trigger, Disconnector), the US-made receiver will count as one part, and the US-made stock set from someone such as K-Var (www.k-var.com - join their forum, and get an additional discount) will count as another three.  After that, you're one ahead of the game, as your rifle would have 7 US-made parts and 9 foriegn parts.

There's a couple other options you could do.

US-made trigger = 1 part
US-made disconnector = 1 part
US-made hammer = 1 part
US-made receiver = 1 part
US-made gas piston = 1 part
US-made muzle brake = 1 part
US-made buttstock = 1 part
US-made pistol grip = 1 part
US-made forearm (top AND bottom) = 1 part

You could mix and match any of those to come up with the 6 parts you needed.

Most people here would reccomend you get yourself an RSA FCG, as they're reputed to be the best (I own several of them now, but need to wait until my rifles return from the gunsmith before I can comment on them...).  =)

The AK-74 builds that I'm doing are utilizing an RSA FCG and a K-Var US-made black synthetic stock set.  To me, it seems the easiest way to go - I'll keep the Bulgarian brake and the Bulgarian gas piston on my rifle - if I need to swap later, for whatever reason, I'll do it, but I don't see the need.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The Bulgy kit has a different shepards hook for the FA fcg, so get a retaining plate with the RSA set. Gas pistons are cheap, but furniture is so much easier to change. And you can sell your oem furrin' furniture to someone who decides they do not prefer SAR wood.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top