Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/9/2003 10:16:35 PM EDT
I am an AK newbie with an SAR 1 on layaway.  I would like to know what some of you think of the SAR, what parts I might need to change (heard the trigger group is crap), etc...  Its coming with laminated furniture.  Also, how good are the hi-cap drum mags CTD is selling?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi and welcome,

The good news is you've got a shooter as is....but it can become better.

General agreement says a RSA trigger system is nearly mandatory and the biggest improvement on any AK47. So check RedStarArms for that, they also sell a good replacement for the shepherds hook that holds down the pins internally.

The furniture itself if it works for you doesn't need immediate changing, you can opt for a NATO lenght stock trough Kvar or replace the existing stock set for a polymer one in any available color.

You can add muzzle brakes to your weapon.

You will see that accessory wise, the AK offers just as much as any AR15.

Magazines, get magazines. Especially good 30rnders. A drum is nice for rocking and rolling I quess but rock heavy if firing off hand standing.

How about posting some pics in the my AK thread, which is somewhere along page two here.

Good luck, and good shooting

Bas
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 1:42:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the Dark side Jack!The laminated stocks are nice but have no finish,you can easily fix this by using a fine steel wool and following up with a few coats of Tru oil.Also look at your front sight post and verify that its not canted,its a fairly easy fix if it is.As Kuiper stated,drums are kinda nice but heavy,buy as many 30s as you can.There are several options in Russian scopes avaliable,I prefer the PSO 4x24 with 400Meter rangefinder,it's calibrated for 7.62x39.You can have one at your doorstep within 2 days for around 90.00 through Freedom optics.Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:40:15 AM EDT
[#3]
You may notice eventually that your pistol grip tends to loosen.  The grip that comes standard with a SAR1 are entirely made of black plastic.  You can get a decent grip with a metal rim for about $12.  This type of grip with the metal rim when tightened stays tight and will not loosen on you as quickly as the plastic junk that it came with.  

Have fun shooting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
SAR triggers are cheap US parts, and all feel different including some that are good. The RSA set is better than any trigger group from any country period.

For the money, start with a heap of steel 30rnd mags.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with RS39, invest in mags & ammo 1st. Then worry about the trigger. I've finally started to notice a little slap after 1000rds on my Sar1.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok I am convinced on the SAR and will get it.  I looked at the front sight and its straight.  I collect M14 type rifles and its going to be fun to have an inexpensive rifle to tinker with and enjoy.  But now my buddy offered to sell me his pre-ban folding stock Polytech AK for $900, a good deal or not???
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top