Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 8:03:29 AM EDT
Where do I get the best and cheapest AK-47.  I have seen several advertised at diffrent prices.  Parts kits scare me! Who to trust...
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
i would go with a sar-1 from aim it will run you around 309 +10 dollars for hand select.
thats what i'd get
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have already seem thumbhole versions coming from Century, yech!
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
We have 2 of them at the store now....

Butt-Ugly Drag-style stock. It feels even shorter than the SAR stock. Built for a 4 foot tall commie miget solider. When i put them on the shelf i ususlly go throught them and do a quick clean on them. I ran a patch down both barrels and out came LOTS of metal shavings.
If you get one of these make sure that you do a COMPLETE cleaning on them before you fire them.
You will be suprised how much metal shavings you flush out of them.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just about to post a new thread asking if black furniture could be bought for the Romanian AK which I was thinking of ordering (w/laminated stock). AK's are a little short for me too & I like the all black more. Do the US made stocks/forearms go on w/no problems or do they need a little modifications?

How fast is AIM in shipping once they receive my payment & my local dealer's FFL?

THANKS
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Not at my local gun shop. They want $450 for a SAR-1.

Here are some other good prices:

L1A1 (FAL) Kit on a Hesse Rec $900.00

L1A1/Imbel (FAL) on Imbel Rec with dremel tool cut stock for bi-pod $999.00

I think I will keep buying off the EE.

Link Posted: 10/8/2003 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
From my experience, your rolling the dice on anything that Century touches. Better to buy in person if possible. Don't be suprised if your rifle is less than stellar from the get go. The first thing I would do is throw the FCG right in the trash- very poor cast parts. With some TLC, SARS can be decent rifles. I have two SAR-2's. One is a nice shooter, the other still needs help.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally, I would wait.    Shop around.  Don't buy off the net if you can help it.   My suggestion to you would be to attend the next GUN SHOW in your area or state.  Gun shows tend to have lots of vendors and in most cases you will see some nice prices on AK's.  You never know, your next AK may be at one of these shows.  Good luck bargain hunter!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 12:31:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I just picked up my Lam. SAR-1 from AIM at the gunstore yesterday.

Gun - $309
Handpick - $10
FFL - $25

not bad deal at all

BTW it looks great and this is my first AK.. oh how so SIMPLE!!! The AR's are really something but these AK's just have "karma".

Will post pics as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I just purchased my first SAR1 from AIM as well. Its being transferred right now. I really don't like the comments Im hearing though. Of course I suppose for many of you AK owners, it's like being a conneseur of wine. I'm not going to be that picky about this rifle. I just never new they were that cheap and I figured I might as well own one to round out my collection of military rifles. I'll do whatever I need to improve it's current condition if need be and make it a nice "day at the range" and "display" rifle, but I'm not going to drool over the details about which country produced it or whether its good for combat. lol
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted: I'll do whatever I need to improve it's current condition if need be and make it a nice "day at the range" and "display" rifle, but I'm not going to drool over the details about which country produced it or whether its good for combat. lol
About the only thing you may,or may not,have a problem with is a canted front sight base.Good luck and enjoy your new AK!
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:21:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was just about to post a new thread asking if black furniture could be bought for the Romanian AK which I was thinking of ordering (w/laminated stock). AK's are a little short for me too & I like the all black more. Do the US made stocks/forearms go on w/no problems or do they need a little modifications?

How fast is AIM in shipping once they receive my payment & my local dealer's FFL?

THANKS

Concerning the stocks check out:

www.k-varcorp.com/

Make sure you join their discussion forum, even if you never post, it's worth an additional % off you order. I put the US made OD green 1.25" extended length stocks on my SAR1. Really easy to do, just did a smidgen of filing on the lower fore-end hand guard. Part number of my stocks was AKGSL (keep my old order confirmation in my desk).

I've bought 30rd Polish Ak mags from Aim, there service was fast & good. I haven't heard of any bad experiences. They got the best price on 30rd mags right now.

I myself prefer to lay-away my guns & pay them off over a month, less of a bite out of the paycheck.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top