Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2003 11:10:44 PM EDT
I want a little better grouping out of my ak.  I am a big guy and could use a bigger length in barrel and stock

(dont you love those chineese stocks...  Ya Ill take 2 Please.  One to S#!t on and one to cover them up with)

I want a better ranging wheapon!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you could buy an RPK and put AK-47 style furniture on it if you've got to have the "AK look". You'd end up with a longer barrel, longer USA stock(if you change it), and a farther effective range.

Or just leave the RPK alone and enjoy as is.

Not alot you can do to improve the AK's barrel as of yet (though I've seen some tinkering on here with good results).

If you're thinking along the lines of an AR-15 with bigger badder barrels and 5-million-and-one configurations STOP IT, you'll only be disappointed. IMHO AK's were meant to be enjoyed as-is, but with some training it's a very effective weapon. It even makes an idiot shoot OK.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Look around for either a Chinese NHM-91 or a Maadi RPM.  Both have 20" barrels which are longer then normal AKs, but not quite RPK length.  

Get one of those, then get an extended length AK stock from K-var and you will have a weird AK that will fit your bill.  

The heavy gas system riding on an AK's barrel will pretty much always prevent any sort of "match" accuracy in a barrel, so you can forget that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
One cheap interim choice is the $7 rubber butt pad extension (tapco is only source I know) that adds at least 1" to your stock length.

Better ranging weapon? Over what distance?

Little better grouping may also come from trigger and sight work.

The weight of the VEPR and SAM7 seems to pay off in nice group reports. Hanging the bbl off of a more solid receiver does not seem to hurt.

But 4moa is good for many 7.62x39 AKs, and beating 3moa seems to require a smallbore AK.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top