Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2003 5:36:31 PM EDT
I asked this question once before and received what I thought was a great answer, but now I am confused.  I asked if I could convert an SKS to accept detachable mags such as those of the AK nature, and was told that it involved alot of machining and work that would be better left to a gunsmith...and that if I really wanted an SKS that could have detachable mags i should just buy one that had already been converted by a gun manufacturer.  I said this on another site during a similar disscussion and was told i was full of shit and that all you had to do to convert an SKS to a gun that accepted detachable mags was to take apart the trigger group and put in a new mag. this didnt seem right to me and I told them what yall said and this guy said i was wrong and he had done it with his friends SKS before, and then quoted:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?dept%5Fid=122047&sku=MAG%2D615&imgid=&mscssid=BDG5G3E0C6CC8GXELA9QSED1TN67BWW7
as proof that all you had to do was take apart the trigger group and an SKS would accept detachable mags.  Now Im left wondering, who is right???  And do I look like a dumbass for good reason?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I admit I don't know jack about the SKS other then what I've read, I do know that what he's talking about isn't a conversion to take AK mags.  

There is such a thing as an SKS detachable magazine.  It always has the big silly attachment to it, and it's hardly an AK mag.  

What you were told here is true, and it's this guy who's got his signals crossed.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
what aljer said and only to add that those duckbill mags that I have seen are crap.  Faster with 10 round internal mag and stripper clips, enjoy things for what they are.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
You could try a 20 round no detachable.  I changed mine from 10 to 20 rounds works great no problems.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top