Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 7:49:13 PM EDT
Love the ak but I'm a lefty. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is a good sling setup. The attchment on the barrel is made for right handed slinging. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I’m left handed too and have considered the same thing.

Pull the front sight and gas block off with the front sling attachment. Reverse the sling attachment loop and reinstall it all.

I don’t know too much about AKs so I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not. Also, now you have the cocking handle (?) sticking you.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:19:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
You could go with a sling swivel stud on the handguard bottom and stock bottom.  Then it'd be like an AR, which isn't too bad.  The handguard stud could double for a Harris bipod as well.  

Attaching a ring to the backside of the front sight tower and then running a loop around the stock would give you a decent top sling as well.

The charging handle blows for lefties.  Welding a Galil knob in place might help, but I don't think it'd help all that much.  Maybe a custom knob of some sort?

Ross
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Ross, the charging handle location is basically what righties deal with with the location of the FAL, HK and AR charging handles. I myself prefer the location of the AK for my right hand, but with most tactical maneuvers today, the AK handle is in the correct position for you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ross, the charging handle location is basically what righties deal with with the location of the FAL, HK and AR charging handles. I myself prefer the location of the AK for my right hand, but with most tactical maneuvers today, the AK handle is in the correct position for you.

I'm right handed and like the AK handle where it is fine.  I was just saying that it would stick you in the back if you switched the sides on the sling positions.  I think that's what JTR8541 was aluding too.

Ross
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, I can see the handle stabbing the back. My FAL does that to me now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 12:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]

I think that's what JTR8541 was aluding too.

Yep
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top