Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 1:36:44 PM EDT
  I was thinking I would like to get a AK type gun. I know nothing about this gun or what to look for in getting a Ak gun. I found I web site that sell's them. I place called "AIM" Thay have this gun

" AK SAR-2 5.45x39 Rifle
Just Arrived! We have just purchased the last of the Romanian SAR-2 5.45x39 Rifles to ever be imported. Super Neat AK type Rifle in the Popular 5.45x39 Caliber. Includes 10rd mag, 30rd mag, Sling, & Buttstock cleaning kit as pictured. New in Box. Do not wait to buy one, we will be unable to Restock." Price is $269

Is this a good deal on a good gun? Can you tell me anything I might need to know about this gun or AIM? Thanks jared

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
How much?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, price is $269. One more question, anyone know a place in central Wisconsin that will do a FFL transfer?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
A NIB SAR-1 or SAR-2 will fetch ya about $350 the most and you should get at least 1 hi-cap mag. The most you should pay is $350, you can probably knock down at the most $20 bucks if ya got cash.......
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
MAXX-  I too have been shopping for an AK-74 type rifle and I decided upon two alternatives:

#1.  Go through AIM and get a SAR 2 ($269.95 + S&H & Xfer fees www.aimsurplus.com) and modifications to be desired ($ will vary).

#2.  Get an AK-74 parts kit ($192.50 + S&H www.gunsnstuff.net/p/033f.html) and then get an Ohio Ordnance Works receiver ($59.99 + S&H & Xfer fees www.ohioordnanceworks.com/parts.htm) and then send it all off to either InRange (www.inrangec2.com) or RapidFire (www.ohiorapidfire.com/workorder.htm) and have them build it (another $200+).

I decided on Option #1 and ordered a SAR 2.  From what I have read in this great forum and other online forums, the SAR 2 is a great entry level AK with plenty of room for upgrades and such.

I was leaning towards the ARSENAL brand AK's but, they do not have any offerings in 5.45x39, only 7.62x39 & 5.56x45 (www.arsenalinc.com/products.html)

There may be better deals out there and I am not personally endorsing any websites, as I have limited end result experience with the above websites.  There are others on this forum who will give their personal endorsements of the above mentioned websites.

Get whatever you will be happy with (& can afford).  Whether it is the plain jane SAR or completely tricked out rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice gun, nice price, where I got mine a few years ago. Ask your local gun shop to handle the transfer. If they want more than about $25 for their paperwork time, remind them that this is a no-shelf-life cash flow easy deal for them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Rmdye just got one of the Aimsurplus SAR-2s, he sent me pics of it, and its one of the nicest examples I've ever seen, with beautiful wood and a decent finish.  One of the nicest CAI guns I've ever laid eyes on, so Aim has the good ones for sure!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Great rifle at a great price. Buy one now or regret it later.

The AWB may come to be a thing of the past, and cooler variants might roll in, but for $300 (counting your ffl transfer) there is no better bargain in the AK world at this moment in time. I'm not much of a gambler, think you're gonna find a better AK for a better price?

I think not.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 1:11:31 AM EDT
[#8]
i love my sar-2
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I also ordered one from aimsurplus several weeks ago. I was very happy when it arrived. nice finish, and the wood is beautiful!!!!Spend the extra $10.00 and get a handpicked one....it remains unfired, in a rifle sock, and snoozing in the safe, (I also have a Romak 2), which I shoot....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top