Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2003 11:27:55 AM EDT
Well, after lurking and reading several posts in this wonderful AK forum I ordered a SAR2 from AIM today!

NOW, I want to dress up this little rifle.

I REALLY like this set up:

Any suggestions on WHERE to get a front sight block at a great price? And then WHO to put it all together?

Please correct my ignorant/untrained eye, but... It looks like I will need:

AK-142B Bulgarian Front Sight Block and Gas Chamber combination. ($79.99) K-VAR

I also ordered this kit (AKEPRC)
www.rpbusa.com/misc.html
and a Conical muzzle brake.

Should about do it except for the funky-front sight block.  Are any of the BOLT-ON ones any good?

I appreciate any help in SMOOTHING the transition into the more "FUN" and LESS-FRIGGING (ie AR) COSTLY DARKSIDE!!!

Thank You!

Edited to correct info and add an update.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The only pisser is that the brake you ordered (if you ordered it from RPB) won't get you to the proper legal length with the FSB/GB you ordered from Kvar.  You'll need about a 4.x" Muzzle device to get legal.  The 74/Krink combo that's on the AKUSA rifle in the pic will *just* do it.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
TEC-  Yep that's the one I ordered. (OAL 4.385") It says on the website (www.ak-103.com) that RPB is the US distributer for this part.

I haven't ordered the FSB from Kvar yet, as I want to make SURE that - that is the part that I need before I go dropping 80-some odd $.

Thanks CAMPYBOB.  I appreciate the forum that you guys have here.  VERY informative.

However, I don't think I will be getting ANOTHER SAR for a little while...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
chris at ak-usa         www.ak-103.com                                        
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Yea baby!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
William,

Welcome to the darkside - we sinners always love company!

You are now offically screwed if you think your only going to get one AK, however.  YOU WILL GET MORE.  Damn things are CHEAP and the ammos even cheaper.  When was the last time you spent $80 on a case of 5.56?  Best of all they love being dirty and never get finicky (check out the mountain of posts in the troubleshooting section).

Again welcome to the darkside and know youre not alone in the sickness!!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool.  Yeah, that's the Kvar part you need.  Don't forget a few other things:

- Pins from Kvar to mount the FSB (you may be able to re-use your old ones depending on whether you're as ham-fisted as I am or not).  I salvaged three from my Saiga and completely demolished and dremeled a stubborn one.  I wasn't being particularly careful, because I knew I wasn't going to reuse the old gas block, and I had extra pins (like $2 at kvar).

- Plunger pin, spring, and retainer (kvar)

As far as putting it together, just about any AK smith can.  If you have a particularly handy local smith, he may be willing to do it.  If you have to send it out, I'd go with AKUSA, simply because all things being equal, they do a boatload of 104's.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the welcome there fellas!

I really need to invest in a larger GUN SAFE then...

I asked Chris at AK-103.com (Thanks MadHatter) & got this reply:

"William,

The Romanian SAR 2 rifle is not compatible with this configuration as it is a hybrid/combination AKM and AK-74 with a 45 degree gas block.   Whereas all 100 series rifles are AK-74 pattern. A very different animal.  IF you really want a 104 type rifle, I would suggest purchasing the Saiga rifle as a starting platform or ordering a completed rifle.

Regards,

Chris Butler
AK-USA Manufacturing, Inc."

Well, I guess there goes THAT grandoise plan... So I guess I WILL be buying another AK...

Edited to add:  I would like to apologize to AK-USA for "hijacking" their pictures and using them here!  I had no idea that they sold complete rifles!  Doh!  I REALLY NEED one of these Ak-104's!  I mean I need it BAD!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]
mmmKrebs Custom

www.krebscustom.com/

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top