BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 4:15:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Not at all surprised that you fixed it.  You're mechanical and all.  You did however leave one thing off the checklist.

Slap the great grandson for taking something apart without knowing how it goes back together.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Bob, what a great thing to do for that veteran.

My hats off to you.

KF
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]

The old Savage/Stevens pump guns aren't the easiest things to fiddle with.  The ejector is much, much easier to deal with when the bolt/bolt carrier is out of the shotgun...but to remove them you have to remove the stock & trigger group...
I'm down to the short rows in fixing my old beater that had a busted trigger group (just needs the metal & wood refinished & a front sight to be %100).  The gazillion differnt variations that Savage/Stevens made doesn't help much M30 vs M67 vs M77, series A-B-C etc, takedown vs fixed barrel, thumb safety vs crossbolt......
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Great, Great job, well done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

riff, i'll wager you are light years ahead of me in the stevens/savage department! heheh!

Mostly self taught with the help of the GPC catalog/other books, general mechanical mindedness & owning 3 of them.

after wrenching on winny 97's and 12's, i found the savage to be a different beast entirely...not 'bad' mind you...just different.

Winchester M97's  Egad, what a pain to fiddle with.  My circa 1903 M1897 (non takedown)is what made me go out & spend the $$$ on the manual.  My Mossberg practically disassembles itself after you push out the 2 trigger group pins, the Win97 requires a mallet???  I had to clean out 90+ years of gunk, no wonder she wasn't extracting/ejecting 100%.  Took 2 cans of carb cleaner & loads of elbow grease.  The room-mate wasn't too happy about grimy shotgun bits all over the kitchen table but she was fascinated by seeing the large pile of parts become a functional shotgun.

it appears to be a pretty good design and i found the workmanship and materials on this example to be much, much better than a scattergun selling in the $500 range today.

Shhh, don't give away the secret .  Used Savage/Stevens sell dirt cheap because they aren't one of the big 3.  Just working class/proletarian scatterguns.  No real "tactical" accessories either (no big loss).  The most I've spent on buying a Savage/Stevens pump is $120, the least was free....somebody just gave mom & dad a basket case take-down 12gauge that was/is missing a few pieces (in the process of being rebuilt as I find parts cheap).
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
yup...the savages are still a good buy. too bad steven's rifles are climbing in price as fast as they are...still a bargain in my book.

I've been on the look-out for a Savage/Stevens M24 shotgun-rifle combo (.22rimfire over 20g M24C preferably)at a decent price for a long while.  It seems everybody who has one for sale thinks they are gold plated or something.  Then again I am a cheapskate & my desire for one hasn't surpassed my tightwad rating.  

the longer i'm around shooting sports, the more i appreciate the older, 'common man's' firearms.

Well, you're a AK kinda guy, can't get anymore 'common man' than that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
you're an
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top