Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/18/2003 12:43:08 PM EDT
A few weeks ago I posted pics of a MAK 90 I picked up at the local show.  It was one of the customs hostage line outs that was modified to MAK specs before being sold.  It was NIB and still had the cleaning rod etc.  I have put it back to type 56 specs except for the bayo.  Using US parts I already had and a little horse trading with friends, I now have a pretty authentic and brand new type 56 "clone" and I am very happy.  Total investment is less than $450.  Thanks to Rot and Campy and others in helping me find the parts.

The story gets funny though....
A couple of days ago, I went to the shop of the guy I bought it from at the show to get the actual box he said he had.  He retrieved it from the back room and it still had all the accys sealed in their bags!  I was a happy camper!  Later when I got home, I pulled out the styrofoam and noticed something stuck on the back............that said "SIEZED UNDER WARRANT".  Here is a pic of the labels

It seems that the consignor of this gun was a former FFL from Utah who got raided back in 1994 for not keeping proper records.  The ATF took all his guns including this one they found in the "SPACE UNDER HOUSE".  They kept everything but the ones he could document were his and gave those back after a long time.  This MAK was one of those.  

I just thought it was kinda cool to have a rifle with an ATF exibit and siezure # on the box.  Cool footnote to an offbeat rifle.

Anyone have any info on this dealer in Utah?  I think he went under the name of Impact Guns but I am not sure.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool history, thanks for sharing the find!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
All your mak are belong to us!
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
does that mak have any american parts on it??

Quoted:
Using US parts I already had and a little horse trading with friends, I now have a pretty authentic and brand new type 56 "clone"

Yep

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I know the guy, and remember when he was shaken down.  Can't remember the name of his business.  He's a really nice guy, just wasn't so good with paper work.  Plus people took advantage of his good nature.  The ATF ended up pulling his FFL, don't think anything else came of it.  But I don't know the whole story, never asked.

This was before Impact was in business, and this has nothing to do with them.

Dave

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Geeebus Rick, you scared me with that thread title.. LOL.. Thats a pretty damn cool find, wishI had been keeping an eye out for that at that show. I'm bitten by the AK bug and I gotta have one now, hopefully I find a deal like that one. =]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Geeebus Rick, you scared me with that thread title..

Hey, I sell for a living so I am always looking for the "Hook"

After I put a couple of mags through it tomorrow to see how it shoots, you are welcome to hammer on it all you like.  Just bring ammo!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top