Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2003 12:46:02 PM EDT
i just picked up an SAR2 that has had the barrel chopped and the front sight moved back to make it a legal 16.25" with brake.
i love it, but hate the AK rear sight!  i was condsidering a peep replacement when i came across the Krebs Custom AR-style rear sight which mounts on the dustcover (gunsmith installed).  
has anyone used this or heard good or bad?  it  makes a lot of sense to me to move the rear sight back farther to get a longer sight radius....with the "chop" job on mine i only have a 13" radius...the Krebs would make it 18-20"
any feedback is appreciated.
thanks,
Don
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought their little kit but haven't installed it yet. The problem most folks would seem to have with sights mounted on the receiver cover is that it is not a stable enough platform for consistency of zero, i.e. it wobbles to a small degree. The Kreb's kit has instructions on how to build up the recoil spring and guide in the rear to have more of a downward pressure on the receiver cover so as to reduce wobble. Whether the end product is stable enough is still in doubt, at least to me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the Krebs rear leaf replacement with a peep.
But for about $100-130 you can get a 4x24 scope or Kobra :)
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Don,

Can you post a picture of the SAR2?  I'm interested in doing the same conversion to mine.

Thanks,

Wayne
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:02:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I bought their little kit but haven't installed it yet. The problem most folks would seem to have with sights mounted on the receiver cover is that it is not a stable enough platform for consistency of zero, i.e. it wobbles to a small degree. The Kreb's kit has instructions on how to build up the recoil spring and guide in the rear to have more of a downward pressure on the receiver cover so as to reduce wobble. Whether the end product is stable enough is still in doubt, at least to me.

Krebs puts an allen screw into the recoil spring tab that locks the cover down. Like this:

Here's some other pics of the Krebs mods:
www.gunsnet.net/album/showgallery.php?cat=500&stype=1&thumb=1&si=KTR-03

Also check out this thread over there:
ttp://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119564

Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
that seems like more trouble than its worth for me.  it peaked my interest because the sight itself is only $20 more than the leaf peep, but even being buddies with some gunsmiths that looks like it might cost a bit to install.
i can get some pics next week but nothing sooner (no digicam...sorry!)
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#6]
An AR sight on an AK???  Blasphemy!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top