Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/16/2003 7:42:20 AM EDT
Aside from the AK and AR what do you guys like that has a good combination of light weight, ammo capacity, ammo capabilities, muzzle velocity, jam clearance, and reliability?  

I was looking at the sig 550 series but they seem to be a little on the heavy side.  Same with the new hk series.  Im sure theres something out there that marries all the properties of a good carbine with out too much compromise.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:43:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#2]
A P-90 might be nice, but I have never touched one.

I really like the short barreled Steyr AUG. Horrible if you need to butt-stroke some one though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The FNC para is a good choice,personaly,I also prefer a 74.The Daewoo is another light weight reliable carbine.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#4]
The P-90 is just frigin "AWSOME", I would'nt call it a CARBINE as much as a SMG though...

That gun as GOOFY as it looks is really comforatble in the hands and on the shoulder..

Good terminal ballistics with no recoil..You can draw pictures with it at 900RPM
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Aluminum receivered FAL in .45 Super Express using thompson mags, fluted barrel, para stock, DSA rail interface handguards with a forward mounted aimpoint and surefire m910 vertical foregrip (or 37mm tube depending on the mood).
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
you got a picture of that thing?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The P-90 is just frigin "AWSOME", I would'nt call it a CARBINE as much as a SMG though...

That gun as GOOFY as it looks is really comforatble in the hands and on the shoulder..

Good terminal ballistics with no recoil..You can draw pictures with it at 900RPM

Brouhaha said it was no better than .22lr only that it can pierce armor out to 200yards.

Leinter Wise disapproves, "US Forensic labs have concluded that the FN P.90 5.7mm round is less effective than 9mm!" www.leitner-wise.com/products/82s.htm

HK was making fun of it for the magazine design, "the P90 has one reported serious flaw.  If you drop a partially loaded magazine, or the gun with a partially loaded magazine, rounds will go flying, get disoriented in the magazine and seriously jam the mechanism." www.hkpro.com/pdw.htm

5.7 only seems to be good at penetrating armor, thats all. [:\]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#8]
You want a nice liteweight carbine? Buy an AMD65 ak parts kit and hesse receiver for less than $200.00, and put together. Man, that is 1 liteweight, heavyhitting, never jam firearm. If you want it to be legal, you need to add a 2-3 inch extension to the barrel. InRange sells a screw-on ext. for $15.00. The original barrel is only 12.6 inches long.
                         OJF
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
you got a picture of that thing?

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Shure HK someone on a HK board is gonna pic fun on a FN weapon...Just like the boys over on the AR board here makes fun of AKs, and we all know what they can do....

I'll bet Sam Colt made fun of Smith and Wesson's gun as well!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Brouhaha and Tatjana did a ballistics test on the 5.7mm, said it was no better than .22lr.

i seriously disagree with that statement.

doh! wasnt thinking when i wrote that. sorry, must edit.

you're right campy. however, i did talk to brou about about the 5.7 ballistics a while ago and he wasnt very impressed to say the least.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, what's the volocity of the 5.7? That and the weight of the bullet?   It should be simple to figure out just how good or bad it might be from comparing those figures with rounds we know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#14]
HKPro and FN listed the 5.7mm SS190 projectile weight as 31 grains with a velocity of 2,346 f/sec.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I went looking, and it seems the normal weight is 31 grains.  The muzzle volocity (P90) is supposed to be 2345 fps.  

Comparing that with the small-bore assault rifle cartriges we know, I would say it would be even less effective then a 8" barrel super-short AR.

It's well known that the smaller the bullet, the faster it has to go to be effective.  Well, this is one VERY small bullet, and it doesn't go nearly as fast as 5.45 or 5.56, which are larger.  

Of course I'm betting that a P90 would be a pretty effective CQB weapon because of it's ability to stack rounds at a high rate, thus negating the lack of power in it's round.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#16]
M1 carbine, Daewoo K1&2.
I have been thinking about loading up some M1 carbine rounds using accelerator type bullets, wonder what velocity I would get and how it would compare to the 5.7
Oh yeah, the venerable 30.30 lever guns too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top