Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/5/2003 4:07:13 PM EDT
I no nothing about this gun. I bought a new Hungarian FEG SA-85M w/ thumbhole stock many years ago and never shot it. This gun has just been sitting in my safe. What is this gun worth now? Would this rifle be considered an ak-47, if not what would you call it. Is it a good brand/quality if not who would make the best version of this gun? Any input would be great!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Hungarin ak's are the best quality ak's around. The fit, finish and quality are top notch.  Your rifle is worth around $400-$450 in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Do to it's stamped receiver, it would be considered an AKM, the replacement for the AK-47 and next in line before AK-74. "AK" is the term we apply to the whole family, so you may as well call it that.  

The Hungarians make great AKs and your rifle is just one of there AKMs with a thumbhole stock tacked on for legality after the ban.  

Are you familier with laws regarding parts count and rifle configurations?  You can make this rifle look like a traditional AK with normal pistol grip and stock if you replace a certain amount (5) of the foreign made parts with US-made ones.  

The thumbhole should switch out directly with a standard stock and pistol grip, and you can do it if you stay parts compliant.

What I would do is buy a US-made fire control group, which counts as 3 US made parts out of 5.  Then get a US-made pistol grip for 4, and a US made buttstock or gas piston for the fifth and final part.  

You can make this:

Look like this:

For surprisingly little money!

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 3:55:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the info so far! Was wondering if I should keep the gun stock for collecting reasons or would you change it to the traditional AK look. If you would change it where would the best quality parts be found with the same blonde wood. One last thing would the change out hurt the collecting value? thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Most folks would prefer a "real AK" to a thumbhole sporter. For collecting purposes, I'd just keep the old furniture and fire control parts tucked away to throw in the package should you ever sell it.  

For a nice looking blonde stocks set you'll be hard pressed to find anything nicer than the ones here: www.globaltrades.com(since this is a foriegn set, you'll need a US gas piston and pistol grip to be compliant)

For a top quality fire control group: www.redstararms.com

www.tapco.com usually offers a complete compliance kit short of the stockset. (US made fcg, gas piston and pistol grip)

*another option for US parts count would be magazine followers and floorplates
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Clubbie,
Just a little something to keep in mind if you're going to replace the piston.  Most of the SA85s imported (at least all that I've seen)use the shorter gas system of the AMD-65 which will require a shorter piston.  I think Krebs Custom makes one that will work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it depends upon whether or not he has the full length gas tube.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top