Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2003 12:57:01 PM EDT
Hey all, I bought my first two AK rifles today! One is a Romanian, the other is a milled receiver Norinco with a heavy bbl.  Now, I need to know...what do I do next?  I've a couple mags, a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and experience with AR rifles.  What next. What essential tools do I need?  A LULA?  Help the new guy!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:the other is a milled receiver Norinco with a heavy bbl.  Now, I need to know...what do I do next?

Next? Naturally, you'll sell that pos milled Norinco to WildWes! (just kidding)

Is the milled rifle a post ban? (MAK90/91)

If so, finding pre-ban style stocks is a real dilemma. Ironwood Designs might be of help, Ace Ltd. sells a block to fit one of their folder style stocks but I noticed on their updated site that these are out of production and supply is limited....www.riflestocks.com

Other than that, more mags, more ammo.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I asked the very same question when I got back into AK's a few months ago after a 10 year layoff. When I asked about spare parts, I got the electonic equivalent of blank stares. Nobody ever seems to need spare parts.

Tools: Assuming your guns came with the little gas port cleaning thingamajig, and that you already have wrenches, a crow bar, a ballpeen hammer and a bastard file, about all you might want is a front sight adjustment tool. They cost $7 or $8 if what I laughingly refer to as my memory serves me right.

You will find this is a much different experience than AR's. The damn guns just don't break. Get yourself some mags; don't worry what brand; they all work. And a shit-load of ammunition.

Then shoot till you drop! Then get up and shoot some more!

Good luck.

SD
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Due to the sturdy AK mag feedlips, a lula is far more optional than it is with the AR (still have one on order to go with my ar lula). Get a mix of ammo, see which your gun prefers and buy cases. Hard to beat the Aim deal now on Polish steel mags so get a heap.
Pick up some old appliances on your way to the range for proper disposal, and then decide how you like your sights/stocks/triggers.
Welcome aboard!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The aim surplus polish steel mags are great quality at a great price.  There's also a guy in the EE selling 40 round Romanian mags for $90 for 10 mags and Romanian 75 round drums for $55; these are both good prices. I think he only advertises the drum mags though.

As to spare parts.  You might want to consider one of the plates that replaces the DAMN cursed shepard's hook if you plan on removing your FC parts much and maybe some springs (though I have yet to replace any part due to brakeage. Loss, backyard gunsmithing screw-ups - yes but I havent had anything brake on its own).

Pretty much its mags, mags and more mags and LOTS of ammo and youre set.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't actually need a front sight adjustment tool. The tool is useful if you care about not scratching your front sight block. Otherwise, I just use a hammer and some cylidrical object (e.g. short dowel rod) to pound the front sight cylinder into place.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Mags and ammo. No need to worry about cleaning gear for the first 6 months at least. If it gets really filthy, spray out the interior with some wd-40, then insert a loaded mag and start pulling trigger to dry it out. Oh Yeah, some kind of loading tool so your fingers don't wear out from hand loading all those mags. That's it!
                     OJF
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If so, finding pre-ban style stocks is a real dilemma. Ironwood Designs might be of help, Ace Ltd. sells a block to fit one of their folder style stocks but I noticed on their updated site that these are out of production and supply is limited....www.riflestocks.com

Forgive me, I am a total Newbie at the AK thing.  What is a MAK90/91?  How do I tell?  Is there an online resourse I could use to give me AK basics?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#8]
How is it labeled on the side of the receiver??
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forgive me, I am a total Newbie at the AK thing.  What is a MAK90/91?  How do I tell?  Is there an online resourse I could use to give me AK basics?

Well, if it's not a MAK, then it would have to be a pre-ban Polytech....

Post-ban AK info with pics:
mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/index.htm and for even more info on the various Romanian AK's linx310.nothingbutguns.com/
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty sure it is a MAK-91, it has the "National Match" designation, the thumbhole stock, the heavy barrel, and the milled receiver.  As the website mentioned supra says, it has one hell of a trigger pull.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top