Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2003 10:15:21 AM EDT
Got to reading another chaps topic about moding his Galil and it struck me....about the only thing one could not do using a standard Saiga in .308, in making it look like a galil, is the difference in "cut" of the reciever line; ie the bottom of the Galil's reciever changes angle at one point and sweeps up to meet the handguard. An AK has a constant sweep.

So then my question becomes...might it indeed be possible to modify a storebought Saiga .308 to appear like the far more expensive, and rare Galil?

Install a Krebs rear sight base, grind off the front sight base and round the 'foundation' off. Install a Galil type handguard clip and either use a custom wood handguard or modify an existing Galil handguard to fit. One could then whack the front sight base off and either through some careful welding & pinning install the ears and the post on the existing gas block, or just yank the AK block and install a Galil gas block/fsb, sleeving or relieving the replacement block depending on weather the difference in Galil barrel bigger or smaller than the Saiga barrel. Final step would be either a fixed ACE folder or a real Galil buttstock modified to fit the Saiga reciever, and an ACE Galil style pistolgrip. Muzzle accessories would be left up to the respective shooter, and an extended "galil" style mag release, well, thats not too difficult to find. The RSA one would probably do very nicely.

The one last bit would be the magazine, and I've been told Galil mags can be made to fit into a Saiga with some tinkering/filing.

I'd kind of prefer M14 magazines as they tend to be cheaper and more plentiful...about the same cost around here as a good "new in wrap" FAL mag. Was it Campy who had the Saiga modified to take M14 mags? And if so, was it Mark Krebs who did the conversion of the rifle?
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
That would be an interesting project. It would come out looking something like a .308 KTR, only probably a little better (I don't care for the looks of the KTR).  

If your feeling ambitious, give it a try.  Never hurts to break new ground in the world of AK customization.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Feeling ambitious and being able to afford the project right now are two different things...I may though...done probably around T-Day.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting...... What about the bolt carrier with the up turned charging handle? Wonder if the carrier would work? Course you would probably have to use the actual piston from the Saiga.

On that I've got a SAR3 that I would love to mod after a galil in 5.56..... Already have the ace stock and pistol grip!

I wonder if Krebs coould do it like a KTR?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Krebs used to have a photo of one they made on an AK rec with Galil parts. I called him about it as I was interested but he didn't seem real interested in doing one at the time. Pic is now gone, unfortunately. In any event, I am sure he would be able to do it. Doubt there is much he couldn't do with a rifle if he set his mind to it.

I do suspect, however, that this may have given him a few ideas such as the KTR-03 and some others. That KTR-03 looks cool as hell. After the ban dies I may have to see about getting one with all the evil features
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#5]
whats up doc?

ah i just returned from the gun show here working on the same scenerio. we have a fella close that has all the paperwork to convert saigas. he does all 3 to pistol grip and 223 and 762x39 to hicap. i asked him if he would do a 308 to pistol grip and galil hi cap. he said he didnt want to cut into the trunion on a 308 with it being more powerful. waaaa i want one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
whats up doc?

ah i just returned from the gun show here working on the same scenerio. we have a fella close that has all the paperwork to convert saigas. he does all 3 to pistol grip and 223 and 762x39 to hicap. i asked him if he would do a 308 to pistol grip and galil hi cap. he said he didnt want to cut into the trunion on a 308 with it being more powerful. waaaa i want one.

Hey protector. I thought that was you when I saw your handle last week. I'm doing great.
There are going to be some really cool rifles coming out next year I believe if you can wait. I'm hoping there will be some decent Galil clones for a change. I think HK is going to start a US factory and I hear rumors of the Israelis doing the same. Not to mention the fact that all of the US AK and FAL builders are likely licking their chops. My advice is to SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! Put it in a secret bank acoount where your wife doesn't know about it! A little here, a little there....

Damn good to have ya here bud.

Watch out for that Campybob guy. He'll try to buy your rifles by showing you 20 year old Shotgun New pricesLOL
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Mmmm Krebs KTR-03

Made out of a Vepr.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I still cant get past the dang stocks on the VEPR.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet!!!!!!...... I'd like to at least be able to add the front site base, handguard and rear site too an Sar 3.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sweet!!!!!!...... I'd like to at least be able to add the front site base, handguard and rear site too an Sar 3.

You and me both....wonder where he got the FSB/gas block.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top