Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2003 12:22:56 PM EDT
Hello everyone.  I purchased a c clamp style front sight tool to do the windage adjustments on my polytech ak in order to avoid (if possible) having to needlessly beat the crap out of the sight to move the windage drum over.  The problem is that the hole in the c clamp that is supposed to be large enough to let the windage drum go through it when you push the sight over (I'm guessing) is not big enough fot the windage drum to fit in it.  so with the hole in the c clamp being too small I put the tool around the sight and clamp down on the windage drum and it just squeezes both sides of the windage drum instead of being able to move it.  I hope this explanation makes since and I hope its not something dumb I am missing (I am usually not this big of a noob) but I must just be missing something simple here.  Can someone explain what I am missing?  Thanks for all replies.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks rotdorn, You understood me correctly that the drum is too large for the hole in the sight clamp.  The c clamp with a socket sounds like a good idea!  That makes so much sense I never would have thought of it.  I am sure the drum is not just frozen, as i have moved it before with the hammer and punch method.  Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Do yourself a real BIG favor and throw that cheap Chinese "c" clamp in the trash and get yourself a B-Square sight tool.

You dont have to take the tool off while zeroing to make the windage adjustments. It will change the impact vertically if you leave it on while trying to zero for the vertical, so do one, take it off, then do the other.

www.reliablehost.com/bsquare/scopetools.html

about half way down the page. Get the combo.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 6:44:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used both fixes that Campy has suggested.

On my personal tool, I used the Dremel.

As a range fix, I found a washer in my tool box to help out a guy at the range.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input everyone.  I got the c clamp with socket method to work and am going to dremel my chinese sight tool to fit as it seems like the easiest way to go, and wont take much cutting for the hole in the tool to be big enough. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
RotDorn and CAMPYBOB - listen to them.

Thanks for the post, AK103K - I'm tempted to pick one of those puppies up.

Might I add - if your front site windage is really tight, like on my SAR, try tightening the tool to a reasonable tightness and whack the tip of the tool to give it a shock.  Careful not to damage the tip as it serves as the elevation adjuster.  You can use wood to whack it with or a pice of nylon or delrin or whatever to protct the tool tip.  Bear in mind when setting up support for the "smack" that the object is not to damage or misalign the front sight base!  If using the c-clamp or swivel headed vice-grips and socket method, a whack works there too.  Moderate tap ought to do the job.  Worked for me.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, I gotta get that B-square sight tool combo.

Thanks AK103K for posting the info & link.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top