Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/19/2003 4:44:43 AM EDT
After seeing that K-VAR is out of 74 kits, I'm thinking of buying one of FAC's kits www.gunsnstuff.net/p/033f.html.

Has anyone bought one of their AK-74 kits? Are they the same quality as K-VAR's? I can't remember where I read it or if its true, but I heard that FAC's 74 kits have the threaded trunnion? Is this a big deal?

After screwing together one K-VAR kit on an OOW receiver, I'm wanting to have one professionally built or just buy one of Global's SSR-74-2's if they ever come out. Your thought please.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply RotDorn. I bought 2 of K-VAR's kits last year, screwed one together and like a dumbass I sold the other one to a friend who proceeded to butcher it up.

My biggest problem with building kit guns right now, is the currently available OOW receivers. I personally don't really like their looks or workmanship. Like I said, if Global "ever" comes out with their new 74's and their new "correct?" receivers, a person may be better of just buying a complete Global gun (if its straight) than to buy a kit, a new Global receiver, and have someone build it.

I'm guess having a hard time deciding which direction to go.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:03:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 rifles built on kits, one on an FEG and one on an OOW. The OOW works fine but I'm most proud of my FEG.
Yes there are more FEG receivers out there,I have an extra one....mines out there somewhere....it was last seen in a Kansas chicken coop.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have 2 rifles built on kits, one on an FEG and one on an OOW. The OOW works fine but I'm most proud of my FEG.

That's what I want this rifle to be, something to look at 20 years from now and say, "damn, that's a quality firearm" not "Oh! Thats built on one of them OOW receivers, I heard they suck"

Yes there are more FEG receivers out there,I have an extra one....mines out there somewhere....it was last seen in a Kansas chicken coop.

Sorry to hear that. That is a shame.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
What makes the FEG receivers better than the ITM/OOW receivers, other than hardness?

Are the FEG receivers no longer importable?
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
After seeing that K-VAR is out of 74 kits, I'm thinking of buying one of FAC's kits www.gunsnstuff.net/p/033f.html.

Has anyone bought one of their AK-74 kits? Are they the same quality as K-VAR's? I can't remember where I read it or if its true, but I heard that FAC's 74 kits have the threaded trunnion? Is this a big deal?

No such thing as a threaded trunion AK-74....they are talking about the muzzle threads....
-C
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, of course it is technically the FSB, but when mounted to a barrel don't you think it is safe to say "muzzle" to get the point accross? I think he gets the picture. BTW, the ad is not refering to the AK47 trunion threads, the quote from the AK-74 ad is this:
"This newest version has the 24mm barrel thread and the newest AK74 muzzle break" That is where the confusion is arising.
-C
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the clarification guys. And as RotDorn said, I meant the trunnions being threaded to accept a screw in barrel. I might have read it on "the other board" several months ago when FAC first got 74 kits. I may have read it wrong, somewhere along the line 4's and 7's got turned around by someone. But now I know differently. Thanks for the responses.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top