Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2003 2:22:43 PM EDT
Guys I took my SLR 101S and SAI Hostage held SAR 1 and my Preban Colt AR15A2 HBAR to the range today and had a shoot out, and left there undecided ..... All performed flawless. Although I ran only 150 rnds through each of them.Thats 450 total. I check zero's at 50 yd line. All checked out ready to Rumble. Next 100 yds. I shot 10 rnds for accuratcy. AR smoked that ,but the AK's would have had dead bodies from the groups I got from them.They did well but not small and tight like the AR.Then I loaded up 20 rnd mags for ea rifle.I had big sheets of cardboard that I painted the outline of a body on it and put them out for punishment.Rapid fire time. Well about 1-2 seconds a shot, I did try to aim.All rifles killed there intend targets. The AR had better groups due to lack of recoil ( I guess). But all had send me home to mama holes in them.They all was equal to the task. Moved on to the 200 yd line after I blasted alittle more. This is where the AR pulled ahead alittle more.I shot first for accuratcy. I was shooting at milk jugs I went and put out. I had a few more hits with the AR than the AK's. I also put the AK's on the # 2 on the rear site.The major problem I was haveing was proper site alignment with the AK's . The AR is natural for me with a Peep site. It self centers when I pull it up.The AK's I have to concentrate on proper alignment with the pin and rear site. I keep the pin top even with the top of the U cut on the rear site. That way I repeat my impact areas. Ive found I sometimes line it up at half way in the U cut out and my groups change. My fault there.I grew up with a AR. AK's are newer too me. I can hit my targets with the AK out at 200 yd but it takes me longer to get it set up with the sites.I like to be accuarte and not pray and spray.The Ak's did well but at the longer distance the AR in my hands was more the deadlier weapon. I would like to practice more and try the AK at 300 and 400.  All the rifle did as they was designed to do.They killed the bad cardboard guy.He had a bad day... :) Thought I would share my day with yall, Cheers WarDawg  ( SEMPER PRIMUS )
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
And a smallbore AK closes the gap a lot. 4moa from my SAR1, 3moa SAR2, 2.5moa Bulgy 74 kit build, 2 moa Armalite on plinker 10 cent ammo.
Expect big bullet drop on the 7.62x39 after 200yds.
More fun than my day though!
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Did I do right by moving the rear sight up to the 2 mark.Now I zeroed the rifle to hit on point of aim. I had them hitting about 2" high at 50 yds. They hit good at 100 yds. So by moving it to 2 which mean 200mm it still should be in the ballpark.Am I correct?  Thanks WD
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The question is - zeroed at what distance?  If zeroed at 100 yds/m, then you should expect them to be 1" or so LOW at 50 yds.

Again - depends on your zero distance.

Sounds like you had a great day!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:45:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Tate I zeroed at 50yds with the rear site on the #1 mark.Hitting the paper with really good groups 2" high from my point of aim.WD
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Your groups are a bit high.  At 100m, you'd be even higher.  Get your groups just below (inch or so)the point of aim at 50 yds with the sight at 100m and you should be on the money as far as having the variouse distance settings on your rear sight being accurate and having real meaning for you.

Good luck!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top