Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/17/2003 8:32:16 AM EDT
I'm trying to find the "perfect" rail system to mount a red dot on and still see my irons. I guess I'm not left with much of a choice outside the Ultimak. So, how do you like the Ultimak? Is it stable enough for optics? Has anyone figured a way to clean the inside of the gas tube without dismounting it? How close is return to zero after it has been dismounted? What about the dreaded "heat" problem? Any input would be greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I think all the things you listed are why they are not popular.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 2:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The heat thing is a non-existant problem. You might think that the scope will get really hot from shooting but, it won't; not near as hot as it gets from just carrying the rifle around in the Arizona (or Iraqui) sunshine.

Cleaning the gas tube is easy with the proper (and cheap) brushes from Brownells. The unit absolutely will NOT hold zero if you dismount it. But, why would you want to?

If you use a 30MM optic with the low Aimpoint rings you can still use the iron sights through the bottom of the scope.

Downside: The setup does make an already nose-heavy rifle even more so.

Downside2: The combination of an Ultimak and Aimpoint (I don't know of any other 30MM red-dot that's worth a hoot) will run you about 250% the cost of a Kobra.

Upside: The US optics are far superior to the Kobra and, with the Ultimak, much more precisely mounted and in a superior (further forward)position. And parts almost never fall off an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
  The unit absolutely will NOT hold zero if you dismount it. But, why would you want to?

To clean the gas tube, or the gas port, or inside the trunion.......every time you clean......every time you shoot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the cleaning thing bugs me. I'm a fanatic about keeping my shit clean. I guess as long as you can somehow get into the tube somewhat effectively it'll suffice. But it will still eat at me!
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#5]
In hind sight, you can clean the gas tube without taking it off, but I always like to clean the gas port as well. If you are not fanatical about cleaning every part that does not need it every time it would be just fine.

I couldn't do it though, yeah, I know its an AK, but I just have to have it clean.
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In hind sight, you can clean the gas tube without taking it off, but I always like to clean the gas port as well. If you are not fanatical about cleaning every part that does not need it every time it would be just fine.

[I couldn't do it though, yeah, I know its an AK, but I just have to have it clean./]

I,too, share your pain :)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top