Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2003 12:30:20 AM EDT
Can bearly stand up straight for a full mag of bumpfired 7.62 but the 5.45 just seems to rattle in my hands. Is it the muzzle break on the AK74 vs the slant on the AK47? Is it the fact I've got a full wooden stock on my '74 VS the polymer/metal stock on my '47?

The '47 bumps a lot easier and gives me longer burps, but boy is it a handfull.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Mainly the caliber.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Just what RS39 said, 7.62 has more felt pop.WD
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#3]
If I bump my 47, it will push me back to the point where I am about to loose my ballance.

The 74 is like shooting a .22LR.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Really?  Neither should be a problem.  Force = mass times accelleration.  Bigger bullet @ nearly the same velocity = more force.

At both ends of the rifle.

The 5.45 (which is v. close to the .219 dia of .22lr) recoil in an 7-9lb AK should feel like a shaking more than a pounding recoil.

7.62x39 in the same weight gun should be very managable, even if you full-house-auto the rifle and blow off an entire mag.  If you're getting knocked over you need to modify your grip and shooting stance.

By the way it's muzzle BRAKE, and I never understood the need people feel to full-hose an entire mag, but to each their own.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a -74 brake on my SAR-1, and it make the reecoil quite tolerable. I never bumped before adding the brake, so I can't compare.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#6]
The diameter of the 5.45 round is .215

I can tell you there is a major difference in recoil.  I don't care what the math says.  Muzzle break or no muzzle break, the 47 has more recoil.

I am also a small person, so this might have something to do with it.

I got out of the bump firing phase pretty quick so I don't do it any more, but there is a difference.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
The 47 in question is my home-built Romanian under-folder. I've since fitted it with a Bulgie grenade pad that slips onto the stock, as well as trying out a myriad of muzzle devices (using a set-screw w/hex head to make it ATF-OK) The slant break realy eases the muzzle rise but the recoil realy pushes me backwards, a bit like standing behind a turbine running at a good tilt. I'm bumping off of my hip. Going to put a 1913 Picatiny and a M4 foregrip on her tonight as well as rings for my Surefire. Hopefully it'll give me a little more fore-end controllability in a bump.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#9]
It may be work over time. Slower muzzle velocity for 7.62 equals more time in the bbl and more power shoving back against you until the bbl is empty.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been looking into getting an AK of my own since several of my friends have SAR-1's & SAR-2's, but I'm still not quite sure which one I want to get.  I really do think that with the availability of ammo, mags, and parts for the SAR-1, and the cost differences (in all areas), I would like the SAR-1 better, but CAMPY-BOB is preaching SAR-2 all the time.  I've fired an SAR-2, and really liked it, and its accuracy, and less recoil, but I also liked the financial sense, accuracy, and balance of the SAR-1 as well!  I'm certainly TORN between the two, but leaning towards the 7.62.  I like black mags & cannot stand the orange/brown 5.45 plastic ones, and cannot afford the price difference of Bulgarian black waffle mags, etc...

I'm a poor student, and cannot afford much, but really want an AK variant, especially before a new ban too...  I'm seriously leaning towards an SAR-1 though.  Is this the right decision?  Or will I regret it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#11]
In the end, you won't regret either rifle.  The SAR-1 is the "clasic" AK.  The SAR-2 is the "modern"  AK.

Either is fine, and either will work well for you.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 3:09:46 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
heheheh!

i have video from bulletfests past that show full auto ak-74's and aks-74u's running full tilt with barely an inch of muzzle jump.

i also have shots of various shooters nearly going 30° up with ak-47's.

there is a balance between accuracy, recoil, controlability and handling that the ak-74 excells at.

5.45 may not be the optimum calibre for all needs and all purposes, but it seems to fit the kalashnikov platform very nicely.

I think Campy's last sentence says it all! I love the 5.45. Granted, I have more experience with 7.62 and 5.56 AK's, the AK-74 round is just about as perfect as it gets. Given the choice, not being the least bit an AR guy, I prefer the 5.56 of all three. Gotta get to work, perhaps I'll elaborate later. (Hey, at least I'm allowed to log in on this site--thanks fellas!)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:51:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Buy both! you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Buy both! you wont regret it.

WOW, 4 posts and he already knows the ARFCOm motto!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The diameter of the 5.45 round is .215

I can tell you there is a major difference in recoil.  I don't care what the math says.  Muzzle break or no muzzle break, the 47 has more recoil.

I am also a small person, so this might have something to do with it.

I got out of the bump firing phase pretty quick so I don't do it any more, but there is a difference.

Nope, it's .221

.215 is what you get if you convert 5.45 into inches and is a not entirely accurate approximation.

Jusl like the 7.62 x 39 is .311 and the 7.62 NATO is .308
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#16]
.303 British = .311 as well. Love using 129gr SPs ment for ComBlock rifles in a No5 jungle carbine I used to have and it shot wonderfully. Always wanted to rechamber a Santa Fe carbine to 7.62x39...it'd be about the perfect bolt carbine...
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i have video from bulletfests past that show full auto ak-74's and aks-74u's running full tilt with barely an inch of muzzle jump.
quote]

Where being these videos ya? See them I must...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top