Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2003 2:20:02 PM EDT
Hey guys I was thinking of putting a forward pistol grip on my new SAR 1 Laminate. I see one advertised in FAC for $42 .Have any of yall got that one.? Im still trying to weigh my options on them.But FAC is the only one I found that was Laminate so far.Thanks guys, WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Interordnance has them for pretty cheap.  I got one from them (actually the set) and I think it's pretty nifty. It actually makes a pretty good monopod for bench shooting, and it really adds some flare to the gun in a hurry.

www.interordnance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=INTERORDNANCE.com&Product_Code=AKWST100  

Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It might be nice for a "fun gun", but for a combat weapon, there is no way I would want it on there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice lead Ajer. $25 to keep the hands farther away from the hot metal while abusing the chrome bbl. I may need to try a set, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#4]
If you ever fire a live  full auto Romanian AK, you will see why they put a forward grip on it. It helps allot while shooting full auto, and actually helps pointing the rifle around.

Also, the full stock version has a forward pointing grip, while the underfolder model points back in order to clear the stock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been toying with the idea myself some time.The forward grip looks good but it eliminates the possibility of using a 40 rnd mag.WarDawg,what part of GA are you in?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
besides the 'coolness" factor, they are worthless IMO.....I had one 5 years ago, and sold it after one trip to the range. it's utterly useless if you bench shoot, it's very uncomfortable to hold in that position....taking in and out mags is a bit awkward as well....and if you have 40 round mags, forget it.

my advice spend your money on something worth wild, like ammo or mags.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Johno, Im in the Middle GA. Im in the Forsyth area.Forsyth is 20 miles north of Macon . I have 2ea SAR1's and was just thinking of something I could build one into.Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 5:37:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Guys I broke down and ordered the Special forces Romanian set from KVAR .$100 shipped. Thats the intire lamianted set.Its already nicely colored from what I can tell from the pics. Thanks for the replys, Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#9]
WarDawg,I'm up around the Chattanooga area.I've got 4 7.62x39 AKs and was thinking the same thing,it would'nt hurt to have one of them set up with a vertical grip.As luck would have it,I traded a Buddy out of one last night.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Johno, I was in the Nooga last week.Did the family outing thing.Took the wife and kids to the Aquarium and lookout mountain.Train ride and Rockcity.I like your area.Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad you enjoyed it,Chattanooga's come a long way in the past 15 years.The area on both sides of the river are great family spots.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive experimented with the laminated forward
pointing lower grip and found that it works
quite well for rapid fire or point firing from
the hip, it seems to make it easier to hold the rifle steady during rapid fire and the added weight also helps a little, but the potruding forward grip also gets in the way, it
tends to make the rifle feel more "bulky" and gets bumped into things easier and gets in the way during quick mag changes, the 40 rd mags will still fit, but you need to carefully insert the mag slowly, since it hits the grip.

I prefer the standard Soviet AKM lower handguard with hand swells overall, because it's more versatile and less bulky, nothing to
get in the way and you can shoot more accurately with a standard lower handguard, because it feels more natural and has better
support for accurate fire.

I also noticed the Romanian pistol grip lower
is better for rapid fire because it can take
the heat better and doesnt get so hot when you
hold it since it has the extended grip, a standard lower tends to get really hot if you
do alot of rapid fire.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top