Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/9/2003 5:46:49 AM EDT
Am planning ahead a little for the death of the AW ban and want to get ready to have an SBR Krink folder as well as an AK-74 folder. Anyway need some ideas and info on receivers:

1] FEG rec. This is what I'd really want but are $230 at Florida Gunworks. There are issues with the placement of the serial number and installation of a standard side folder, however. Any suggestions?

2] SAR-2 rec. Would be my second choice.
Would probably have to buy an entire rifle and have disassembled, etc.

Both options are expensive and though cost is not a huge issue it is obviously a factor. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am open to other ideas but will probably not want to go with a global rec if and when they ever come out on the market.

Give me some ideas guys.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
the sar-2 will have one set of rear trunnion holes in a wrong location. i just drill the krink trunnion to match. other than that, no real issues.

Bob,
How big a pain in the ass is it to get a FEG rec ready for a side folder?
I guess the serial number is the big issue from what I gather. Is it okay for someone besides the orig manufacturer to move the serial number?

Any other alternatives out there?
A couple of years ago there were a ton of milled bulgy rec's out there. Any of these for 5.45? Anything out there that you are aware of? Seems strange I never see any of these for sale. Nor do I see any rifles assembled on them for sale.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]

A couple of years ago there were a ton of milled bulgy rec's out there. Any of these for 5.45? Anything out there that you are aware of? Seems strange I never see any of these for sale. Nor do I see any rifles assembled on them for sale.

DR.J,  The Firing Line makes a US milled receiver, but they are not cheap.  You are looking at $329 to $429.

Check out the link below.  Hope this helps.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

DR.J,  The Firing Line makes a US milled receiver, but they are not cheap.  You are looking at $329 to $429.

Check out the link below.  Hope this helps.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/

I spoke with these people a week or so ago.  Not cheap but they do seem to have it all together.

Edited to add:  From a poor memory I believe their receiver for the side folder is not quite ready as yet.  The straight stock and the underfolder are, I BELIEVE, available now.

The guy I spoke with had an interesting comment - said that of all the receivers floating around out there the Romanian receivers were the ones that were properly hardened.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok I'm at a loss here, but for what you want to do.....buy a 200 dollar plus receiver, or buy a SAR2 and butcher it for a receiver....why not go with a OOW 74 receiver? they aren't that bad,  and for the money you want to basically throw away, could be used for ammo, mags etc...

unless you just like to throw away money....I really don't see your point
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 9:04:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok I'm at a loss here, but for what you want to do.....buy a 200 dollar plus receiver, or buy a SAR2 and butcher it for a receiver....why not go with a OOW 74 receiver? they aren't that bad,  and for the money you want to basically throw away, could be used for ammo, mags etc...

Not looking to throw away money, of course. However, I can afford to buy just about whatever I want and an extra $100-150 is not a big deal to get what I want.
I do have a postban Krink being built on an OOW rec at INRANGE currently but would like a folder in SBR config. I also have another OOW rec and a Bulgy '74 kit in my safe. There is however enough concern about the OOW rec and its hardness that if I am going to go the trouble of registering an SBR I'd prefer to "do it right" and will probably butcher an SAR-2. That at least is my thought currently anyhow. If I could find a good stamped rec cheap I would use that but they are not readily avbailable currently. Should've bought when they were I guess.

Might just try to find one already built as well.

That is my point...
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There is however enough concern about the OOW rec and its hardness that if I am going to go the trouble of registering an SBR I'd prefer to "do it right" and will probably butcher an SAR-2. That at least is my thought currently anyhow.

personally, I believe this whole "hardness" thing has been over done, and is a much-ado-about nothing......it's like chicken little screaming the sky is falling, and everybody panics....I have fired close to 2,000 rounds out my 74, and it isn't a issue, and  I doubt seriously that it will be. for a semi-auto I think it's a moot point.

until somebody comes on and says with pictures, their OOW receiver failed due to lack of "hardness"......and not the build itself. it's all just speculation..... with that and a buck, it will get you a cup a coffee.

but hey, I'm all for you spending the extra bucks....nothing like pumping money into the ecomony.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not looking to throw away money, of course. However, I can afford to buy just about whatever I want and an extra $100-150 is not a big deal to get what I want.
I do have a postban Krink being built on an OOW rec at INRANGE currently but would like a folder in SBR config. I also have another OOW rec and a Bulgy '74 kit in my safe. There is however enough concern about the OOW rec and its hardness that if I am going to go the trouble of registering an SBR I'd prefer to "do it right" and will probably butcher an SAR-2. That at least is my thought currently anyhow. If I could find a good stamped rec cheap I would use that but they are not readily avbailable currently. Should've bought when they were I guess.

Might just try to find one already built as well.

That is my point...

If you want to build a Krink with a folding stock and a flash hider then the answer is none of the above.
You can't put either on a postban, you'll have to buy a preban to do that.
Since more than likely you'll want it in either 5.45 or 5.56 you'll probably be looking for a Norinco 84S which is what most 5.45 and 5.56 SBR Krinks are built on.
So actually you are looking at about $800+ just for a donor rifle.

OK, just noticed the AWB death plan.
If it does die I don't think having to build one is going to be an issue.
I'm sure someone will build a production folder.
Either way FEG is history so if you want one those get one while you can.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is however enough concern about the OOW rec and its hardness that if I am going to go the trouble of registering an SBR I'd prefer to "do it right" and will probably butcher an SAR-2. That at least is my thought currently anyhow.

personally, I believe this whole "hardness" thing has been over done, and is a much-ado-about nothing......it's like chicken little screaming the sky is falling, and everybody panics....I have fired close to 2,000 rounds out my 74, and it isn't a issue, and  I doubt seriously that it will be. for a semi-auto I think it's a moot point.

Sounds like you're quoting my previous posts on this subject.

but hey, I'm all for you spending the extra bucks....nothing like pumping money into the ecomony.

Glad to hear it.
The way I feel about it:

1]$400 for Krink kit
2]$35 for trigger guard, etc
3]$450 or so for build
4]RSA FCG
5]pistol grip, handguards, gas piston
6]$200 tax stamp for SBR

Seems peeny wise and pound fucking foolish to skimp on the heart of the rifle, ie the receiver. Resale is also an issue.
An extra $150 or so is no big deal to me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]
AK-Joe,
I hear ya and already have a wish list but the window may be short and the availability poor. I plan on having this Krink done within a week of the AW ban death if I can work it all out. And I will!
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:52:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
AK-Joe,
I hear ya and already have a wish list but the window may be short and the availability poor. I plan on having this Krink done within a week of the AW ban death if I can work it all out. And I will!

Part of the reward for working your a** off is the ability to get what you want.  (So get it the way YOU want it - I always did.)
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Is FEG really history? I thought they were currently making a 5.56mm AK?

well a search on the internet revealed this:

www.feg.hu/ceginformacio/ceginformacio.php?lang=en

heaters? Who makes rifles, etc for the Hungarian Army now?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 5:26:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Is FEG really history? I thought they were currently making a 5.56mm AK?

well a search on the internet revealed this:

www.feg.hu/ceginformacio/ceginformacio.php?lang=en

heaters? Who makes rifles, etc for the Hungarian Army now?

Jimmy told me at a recent gunshow about FEG and I also got this quote from their forum over at AK.net.

FEG as we know it is basically going away. It was sold to another company for the real estate, and now that deal is open to some questions. But long run, the property they are on is too valuable for them to stay.

They are in Pest, and the industrial land there is being redeveloped into nice aparments and shopping centers. They have about 8 acres in the line of development.

(a three-room flat there sells for $500.000 plus.)

But we are aware of what is going on, and any possibilities there are very interesting to us. More late on this maybe.

When I said FEG was history I really meant nothing is being imported from FEG that I'm aware of anyway and now with this real estate thing happening we may never see a new product from them again.

MPi-K, I have no idea who is building rifles for the Hungarian army.
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been looking at Global's rec coming up and maybe that will be the answer. Sounds like the guy overseeing this and the plan for production of thicker RPK type steel as well as ability to heat treat the entire rec will come off okay. Some damn nice looking rifles in the future from them hopefully.

BTW, AIM has SAR-2s at $269 per right now!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
DrJ,  You hit the nail on the head.  Don't skimp, and sell yourself short on the receiver.  

The receiver is not the part you want to save a buck on when you are building a custom rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the help, guys.
I am now looking at a preban Norinco 84S to convert--possibly.
Patience has never been a long suit of mine!

What are the issues with doing a conversion on this as far as receiver and trunnion mods?

Would any of you consider simply building as a 5.56?
What is the availability of mags????
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:06:44 PM EDT
[#17]

No US compliance parts are required for an SBR build.

Yes, Global will re-locate the serial num for the folder (non-functional) button.

Ask Troy Sellars as he is doing my Krink on an FEG recieverand knows all about these issues.
Link Posted: 8/15/2003 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No US compliance parts are required for an SBR build.

I saw that. Others have stated differing opinions--of course! I tried to pull up regs on the ATF site but really didn't have much luck...another big surprise! Sent Troy an email regarding this and other questions.

Yes, Global will re-locate the serial num for the folder (non-functional) button.

Ask Troy Sellars as he is doing my Krink on an FEG recieverand knows all about these issues.

Mine is planned to be a folder. Post AW ban death or I may get a preban. Like I said, I am short on patience.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 11:52:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
well, I just bought a Norinco 84S. Decided to hell with it. Don't want to wait. I'll register as SBR, send to Troy with Krink kit and sell off parts, 3mags that come with it and by the time I'm done it won't cost me much more. Nor will I have to wait and leave myself at the mercy of anti-american, money grubbing, parasites that we call politicians. Fuck it.

Now that being said, what mods will have to be made to my reciever????

Any good reason to go with 5.56 mm vs 5.45mm??
Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I would go 5.45 first and consider 5.56 for my second Krink.  Original caliber first.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I would go 5.45 first and consider 5.56 for my second Krink.  Original caliber first.

I am getting one in 5.45. Waiting patientlyTroy says about 2 more weeks.

As for 5.56mm:
I guess I'm curious if it would cut the number of mods to the receiver? Ammo would be easier to get but mags harder. Of course, once I've got a bunch of mags I'm set. Well, kind of
The kits are the same price regardless of the 2 cals.

Any advantages in one vs the other cal, 5.45 vs 5.56 ???
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#23]
More info, more info!

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am getting one in 5.45. Waiting patientlyTroy says about 2 more weeks.

As for 5.56mm:
I guess I'm curious if it would cut the number of mods to the receiver? Ammo would be easier to get but mags harder. Of course, once I've got a bunch of mags I'm set. Well, kind of
The kits are the same price regardless of the 2 cals.

Any advantages in one vs the other cal, 5.45 vs 5.56 ???

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top