Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/7/2003 9:54:43 PM EDT
What kind of spare parts do you guys keep on hand just in case a part breaks?  Are there certain parts that wear faster then others?  And finally where do you get the spare parts from?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of my spare parts are more accidental than intentional.

In many cases probably better to buy a spare rifle.

JMHO... for what it's worth. Now if you have something that's been custom built with rare pieces, it might be worthwhile to really take an interest in spare parts that match your particulars...

Of the few things I've seen completely dry up, Valmet mags and Romanian AK74 front site bases are all that really come to mind.(Well, those and 40 round Chinese 7.62x39 mags--anyone have a source?)
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
AK's never need spare parts...
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha! Ha!  Have you checked out the troubleshooting forum?  There's nothing there!  The darn things dont brake.  

Actually its a good idea to have some springs and shepards hooks around for those times you loose one in the shop/carpet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
NightSniper; I asked this same question a few months ago and got the same answer: A puzzled look and a response of "why would you need spare parts for a Kalashnikov?"

So far, they're right.

Look at how many responses there are(n't) under TROUBLESHOOTING and CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE.

Good luck,

SD
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
While they are very resistant to damage, you can "break" an AK.  There is no reason to loose a shepherds hook, but bolt parts do wear out and can fail with time. Any moving part is prone to wear, and thus failure.

I would have a spare gas tube on hand in case you accidently get ahold of some corrosive ammo, any spare parts for the bolt would be nice to have around. Butstocks are always good, and the front handguard is a good item if you like to bump fire every time you go to the range.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top