Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 4:44:32 PM EDT

I have a really bad itch for another SAR. But, since I'm stuck for the moment in the PRK, I thought I was SOL. Until I saw this,www.webshooters.org/diy_california_fal.htm. Is it possible to perform this modification to the SAR? PLEASE help me return back to the darkside.

Thanks Brad
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If it will pass the Kali legal muster I suppose it will work. As a more  expensive alternative consider using a modified Chinese drum (replace the bottom hinge with a catch - so you may remove the back of the drum and reload) and drilling a couple of holes in the sides of the trigger guard on eithier side of the mag catch and spot welding the mag catch. When you leave the Golden State, just rivet on a new trigger guard. This might be legal in Kali - but how would you get a SAR and Drum without leaving Kali to buy it ?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty easy to convert back to removeable mags. I guess you would have to submit this to the CA DOJ to see if it is approved. My guess is they will say no unless the mag is physically welded into the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]

If it will pass the Kali legal muster I suppose it will work. As a more expensive alternative consider using a modified Chinese drum (replace the bottom hinge with a catch - so you may remove the back of the drum and reload) and drilling a couple of holes in the sides of the trigger guard on eithier side of the mag catch and spot welding the mag catch. When you leave the Golden State, just rivet on a new trigger guard. This might be legal in Kali - but how would you get a SAR and Drum without leaving Kali to buy it ?

The drum idea might not be good considering the fixed magazine needs to be 10 rounds or less.
As for aquiring another SAR, I'm not going to worry about it yet, until I get confirmation of the legallity of the modification.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like there is some hope.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=171734. From what I'm hearing, while on  BLM lands I may remove the modification and shoot all the the detachable magazines to my hearts desire.

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see why you should have to "confirm" the legality of it.  It follows the letter of law, so whether or not it passes their highly biased, case by case enterpretation of that law should only be worried about if such a situation arrives.  Last time I checked, a written law should tell you what you can and can't do by itself.  You aren't expected to have to call in regular laws to see if it's really true, so why should you have to call in firearms laws? Especially since there's nothing vague about this one.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top