Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2003 3:30:27 AM EDT
While finishing the 5.45 accuracy testing yesterday, RS39 and I found that with the properly installed breaks on the CUR-2 and SAR-2, the groups almost doubled in size.  Once the breaks were taken off, the groups imediatly became smaller.  RS39 had noted the same problem earlier with one of his '74s.  

Has anyone else noticed this problem, and has anyone heard of any issues the militaries using them have had?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Muzzle brakes never help accuracy, they can upset the bullet immediately upon leaving the muzzle due to the turbulence they cause. A properly installed brake will cause less but still have some affect.
The obvious question is, are the bullets hitting the brake as they leave? The brake has to be aligned as true as possible. Other than that I am afraid there are not many options available.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:31:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
My Bulgy kit groups doubled in size with the brake on in std commie form, while being shot in test mode after the initial build. Being the Bulgy threads, it has been perm attached anyway. But Ober's have the Romy bits which you are free to spin on/off as you wish. It makes me wonder if a washer can be made to firm up the mounting to kill the extra vibration. New Campy-designed RSA crush washers?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My Bulgy kit groups doubled in size with the brake on in std commie form, while being shot in test mode after the initial build. Being the Bulgy threads, it has been perm attached anyway. But Ober's have the Romy bits which you are free to spin on/off as you wish. It makes me wonder if a washer can be made to firm up the mounting to kill the extra vibration. New Campy-designed RSA crush washers?

I think it was Campy's suggestion, but I use high-temp copper RTV on the threads on my ROmanian AK-74 brake. No wobbles, decent accuracy (3"@100 yards)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top