Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2003 6:13:43 PM EDT
Well I finally did it...I just recieved my new Romanian SAR-1 w/ laminated furniture from AIM.    I would just like to thank all who helped influence my decision to even get one, especially zhukov.  But now that I have one I have some typical questions that I am sure are easy to answer.  The first is, is it normal for the gun to smoke upon first firing?  I loaded 5 Wolf FMJ for a test fire and noticed that on the first round, there was some smoke coming from inside the reciever.  Also, what exactly is the little button on the back of the upper reciever just above the stock?  I know it has something to do with holding the bolt back but how exactly does it function?  And also, what is the best way to clean all the oil off the surface of the gun?  Thanks in advance for all your help.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
That "little button" is the rearmost part of your recoil spring rod. Push it in and lift up the top cover, then you can remove the recoil spring and bolt carrier. There is nothing to hold the bolt back, no hold-open or anything.

Smoke is normal. Oil or cosmo or something burning away. It'll do it for a while. You really want smoke, bump fire about 4 or 5 of the 30 round mags thru it as fast as you can (hint: wear a glove on your forward hand, or hold the rifle with an oven mitt or something).

Cleaning all the oil off...ugh. Try wiping it down with a rag, actually several rags. Just keep at it. Do it outside on a warm day. Take it to the range, run some rounds thru it, and wipe it off some more. It takes a while.

Oh, and most important of all....have fun! I like the Romanian SAR's. So much so that I had to get another, an SAR-2. But I havent gotten to fire it yet, since I couldnt afford any ammo for it! Also only have one standard capacity (30 rnd.) mag, and one reduced capacity (10 rnd. It came with the rifle, I would never waste money on something so stupid!). That should change within the next couple months, though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok thanks for the info.  But, if the button on the back of the upper reciever is for disassembly, then why does my rifle hold the bolt back when I pull it to the rear.  It only holds it back once the spring is compressed very tightly.  Is there something abnormal about this?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not a problem, the whole thing will be more clear once you actually press that button and take the rifle apart. You will be amazed at the simplicity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Grats!

Heres a website that should help you out with any questions you might have:linx310.nothingbutguns.com
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The bolt on my SAR-1 will stay to the rear sometimes too. I dont know why really, but it only does it when theres a mag in there and it's empty, either from firing or from inserting an empty mag. Nothing to worry about, and the more I use mine, the less often it does it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's not a problem, the whole thing will be more clear once you actually press that button and take the rifle apart. You will be amazed at the simplicity.

The perfect reply! Dang,all of mine came with really cheap owners manuals! And smoke? Well, if the rifle hasn't been diasassembled previously...
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok thanks for the info.  But, if the button on the back of the upper reciever is for disassembly, then why does my rifle hold the bolt back when I pull it to the rear.  It only holds it back once the spring is compressed very tightly.  Is there something abnormal about this?  

Cool, I just got one a few months ago.

Probably the bolt catches a little on something or other. It happens on most of the AKs I've seen. Mine catches a little if you pull it all the way back and let it slide forwards gently, but it slams back forward at the slightest nudge.

And do check out that website. It shows all the cool things you can do with the buttstock toolkit.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, when it is held in the back position all it takes is a little press on the charging handle in the down direction to get it to slam home.  In actuality I like it.  I have a Mini-14 that holds the bolt back, and once I have it loaded, I let it fly forward.  That is the sweetest sound in the world.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top