Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/28/2003 2:40:20 PM EDT
......and it won. Got 5 stitches and a severed nerve. Don't ever use them in a manner that they weren't intended for!

Mike
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like it's time to take it to the range to get some pay-back to me!
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I din'tn want to tell Yaa'al about this shit but...... I got's a brush wacker on the back of my tractor. So, 3 weeks ago I she stopped and I got off the John Deer to see what it hit....left the PTO in......no skin on my ankle from a stone I think. I frick'in hate hospitals.  Shit certainly happens.      
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad lost a fight with one when I was in Cub Scouts while helping me make my pine wood derby car.

He lost about 3/4 of an inch of his left index finger.

That was the day I learned a whole bunch of new words.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait til that cut never starts to hurt.  

8 years later, and my left thumb still hurts like a bitch some days.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Considering where you keep your thumb, most of the time, maybe you should try relaxing a little?  

TRG
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I was trying to trim a bit off a MAC 90 front sight base to add an RPK bipod to it for a friend. I had 1919 barrel extensions in one mill and 1919 bolts in the other for semi-auto conversion cuts. The saw is more like a small stock saw made to cut horizontally through material. I flipped it up veritcally to reove most of the material so I could clean it later in the mill.

Well, the saw is a light duty MSC model, not very heavy. I pushed a little too hard and the sight slipped and my hand kept going. I have a "v" shaped cut between the middle and front knuckle of my left index finger. The upper portion is about 1/2" long and the lower about 3/4" long. Missed the bone by about a 1/16"! It is numb for now, but it ill hurt like hell tomorrow! I actually hope it does, I do not want to go through surgery to repair the nerve. On the other hand, it wouldn't hurt next time I miss with the hammer

Anyway, I am gonna get that sight done Wed., one way or the other. I think I found yet another use for Visegrips!! Wish I could show some pics, but my youngest son has the camera in North Carolina.

BTW, it isn't my trigger finger

Mike
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Pics???
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
ouch!! damn, i bet that felt below average.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Will we be seeing it on the berm at bulletfest??
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
 Anybody who has ever worked with a lathe knows the old saying "Never ever ever take your hand off of the T wrench when you have it in the chuck"

Well guess who the dumbass is who took his hand off of the T wrench and instantly forgot that it even existed and then slung it into his shin when he engaged the spindle at around 1500 RPM !!

believe me when I tell you that I am far from what could be considered a weak type individual and am far from being a sissy, but I cried like a little girl when it took me to the floor.

I have some sort of higher power to thank, or it was just plain dumb luck that it didn't get me in the face.

Lesson to be learned in the above post boys, never ever get complacent or you will shortly be shown the error of your ways.

Chuck

Oh, and by the way Mike, nice try but you wont get out of building my AMD that easy dude.You still got nine fingers and ten toes left!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Considering where you keep your thumb, most of the time, maybe you should try relaxing a little?  

TRG

ES&D  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#15]
You do know this could possibly qualify you to be a high school shop teacher.  You remember your shop teachers.  At the beginning of the year they always held up their hands and gave us the respect speech,  as we noticed a short or missing finger.

Just kidding.  I hope all heals well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
that'll learn ya!!

nothing like pain as a learning device, ive got quite a few scars from working with metal for the last few years, you learn real fast if what your doing is the wrong way of doing something.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You do know this could possibly qualify you to be a high school shop teacher.  You remember your shop teachers.  At the beginning of the year they always held up their hands and gave us the respect speech,  as we noticed a short or missing finger.

Just kidding.  I hope all heals well.

My faher wasa shop teacher,,,yup he lost the tip of one finger.

My junior high shop teacher also lost the tip of one finger.

I taught a shop class, I lived in fear of following in their foot steps.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 4:47:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I should have known better Campy. The damn hole in my ankle was half the size of a tennis ball.........now it's half a golf ball. I didn't think it was too bad until the doctor started cleaning all the grass and dirt out of it.........shit!! At least I had a pretty nurse, hehe.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Believe me when I tell you that I am far from what could be considered a weak type individual and am far from being a sissy, but I cried like a little girl when it took me to the floor.

Chuck

Yeah right, girly-boy.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#22]
 It always seems afterwards that someone was trying to hurry up and get something done that leads to such mishaps. Granted some people are just plain stupid and should not be around power equipment, but by and large it is usually a case of trying to get finished in a hurry.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS respect the fact that no matter who you are, you are a relatively frail creature so to speak, and if you tangle with a powered device you will lose.

Some people think that it will never happen to them, next thimg you know, IT DOES and they are dead.

I was in a Ford plant in Livonia Mich. to do a repair on a capacitor discharge welder Ford had purchased from the company that I used to work for.

They had a press that was punching out some form of part from sheet metal. I have no idea how much tonnage the press was, but the table was about 5ft X 5ft. There was apparently a flaw in the stamping die that was marring the parts, so they decided to polish the die to correct the mistake.

There was a guy polishing the die IN THE PRESS he was completely under the ram and DID NOT HAVE THE RAM BLOCKED UP TO PREVENT MOVEMENT. The press was powered up and WAS NOT LOCKED OUT OR TAGGED OUT and the operator was standing there with BOTH OF HIS HANDS ON THE SAFETY BAR.

These two guys were BSing like they were in the lunch room, and all I could think was how far that one guy would squirt when that ram tripped, so I relocated to a work station out of the spray radius.

I know those guys were paid by the hour, what excuse can you think of for not protecting oneself against against getting crushed to death.

NAW, IT WONT MOVE, CAN'T HAPPEN TO ME, I THOUGHT THAT IT WAS TURNED OFF, NEVER SEEN ONE DO THAT BEFORE.

Always think about the consequences of your current actions before performing them and stay alive guys. Aks are cool and all but are they worth a finger, toe, eye or life.(Preban Yugos,Galils and Valmets notwithstanding)

Chuck

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Wish I could share a power tool/heavy equipment accident story, but I guess I'm just too smart to let any of that stuff happen to me.

However, I did have a skate board accident a couple of years ago, which sent the boards nose right in between my eyes and me to the doc to get 7 stitches.

Then there was my brother who was doing something with my dad involving a chain and loading/unloading stuff on a trailer quite a few years ago, and 3 or four of his fingers got caught in the chain some how and crushed them.  He had to wear a cast over them for quite some time, and he got to keep every one

THEN, there is one of my dads buddies, who was fixing a bar stool with a motor or something for bar stool racing (don't ask me).  He got his fingers caught in between the chain and the wheel (sprocket?) that spins it.  Lost a couple of finger tips in that one.

I love injury stories
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Uh, uh, I got one - try 3 razor sharp blades spinning at 3400rpm in my jointer making accidental contact with your finger. Hmmm. So that's what these push blocks are for. My sister-in-law who was visitng said, "look at the bright side - none of the blood got on the wood." I would've kicked her butt if I weren't in so much pain...
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Ouch.  Glad to here you're OK mike.

I remember back in high school one of my friends took his right thumb of with the band saw in wood shop.  He just walk up to the nurse's office with a trail of blood following him.  They reattached it and he is was Ok, but his thumb is a little shorter.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Finger story:

Coworker was cimbing off the nose gear of a DC8. More like sliding out of the gear well between doors and small door.
Went to grab for support while going down and out. Wedding band on left hand caught onto a grease fitting. Body continued downward, ring and finger stayed stationary at gear. Finger was left attached to lower knuckle by a thread of skin.
Doctor told mechanic that pull and rip type injuries like this sometims result in the tendions being stretched or pulled out from the arm, and limited use of the limb afterwards.

Get the rings off at work or outdoor activity.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Will we be seeing it on the berm at bulletfest??

The finger?

hahahhaha no, the saw!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Finger stories:

Coworker was cimbing off the nose gear of a DC8. More like sliding out of the gear well between doors and small door.
Went to grab for support while going down and out. Wedding band on left hand caught onto a grease fitting. Body continued downward, ring and finger stayed stationary at gear. Finger was left attached to lower knuckle by a thread of skin.
Doctor told mechanic that pull and rip type injuries like this sometims result in the tendions being stretched or pulled out from the arm, and limited use of the limb.

Get the rings off at work or outdoor activity.  

Rings..............don't start me........the youngsters at work......rings in the (everywhere,hehe), JJJJJeezes!!!!!. One snag on a pubic hair and you're done.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Lock Out, Tag Out- words to live by.

I think almost everyone gets complacent to some degree. It kills some, merely scares others. It's really a shame since those are all avoidable accidents.

It's the unavoidable accidents that are the worst. A couple of years ago an ironworker was working near the tension cable of prestressed concrete. It snapped and literally tore half of his head off. Young kid, newly married, with baby. It was a freak accident, no fault was found.

Same jobsite. A load was being hoisted off of a truck. The load shifted and dumped due to poor rigging. The 400# forks that once held 3000# now held nothing. They shot up 3 stories to where 3 bricklayers were working from a window washers style scaffolding. Fortunately they had gone in through a window a couple of minutes earlier for break. The riggers were also lucky that they weren't crushed by the load or had their heads torn off by the flying forks.

Some guys live to tell the stories, some are the stories. No, I wasn't one of the dumb asses that rigged that load.

I bet we all see people that could be seriously hurt everyday. They walk away unhurt, or the accident doesn't occur at all. Then one day.....
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#31]
When I was a teenager, I sliced up my middle finger with an electric hedge trimmer.  This was the old days, early '70s, when these trimmers had much larger openings than now.

I was careless and in literally dug a ditch halfway through a finger tip.  It didn't cut, it escavated.  Bled like a friggin' stuck pig.  Went into the house dropping lotsa blood.  Told my Mom, and her first words were to the effect that she needed to put on a better dress to take me to the emergency room.  Mom, God rest her soul, wasn't put off by much.  During WWII, she first worked at the Lake City ammo plant and later worked for Pratt and Whitney in Kansas City inspecting engines after they were mounted on B-25s.  In her youth in the Dust Bowl in Kansas, she was a hell of a shot with a .22.  The jackrabbits she shot ended up on the dinner table.  She was one hell of a woman.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#32]
About a year ago I worked part time while at a McDonalds when I was in high school.

No real power tool stories, but Ive got several scars from bad burns. Went to the hospital once. Teaches you not to fvck around when cleaning that grill or those friers.

I work part time at a McDs now while attending college, havent been burned since I moved to the new store.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Mike and Chuck,

I'm coming up there Wednesday.....remind me to slap both of you upside the head when I get there.....

KF
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top