Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/25/2003 7:46:57 PM EDT
I only have 3 magazines, one is a 10 rounder which came with my rifle, and 2 hi-cap 40 round bulgarian Waffle mags, just wondering how many you guys keep and how come the 30 rounders seem more available and popular then the 40's? What about steel mags are they better then the black polymers like I have? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You are mag poor!  The Waffles are nice but pricey and they can be a tight fit in some rifles.  Get some (in your case several) of the Polish steel mags.  Great finish and workmanship.  Hell, an AK mag is pretty much bullet proof - you just need more.  Aim surplus is a source for the Polish steel mags.  you may want to also try CDNN if Aim is out.  CDNN generally has some E. German mags on hand - Finish is not as good but they work just fine.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Do I currently use all of the magazines that I currently have?  No!

Do I want more?  Yes.

Do I need more?  Absolutely!

There is no magic #.  Get as many as you can afford before the price goes up, and they become harder to find.

The 40's are cool. but the 30 round mags are more practical; IMHO.  Both steel & polymers work great.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay, now what about double stack and single stack mags, can I use both in my SAM7? You got a good point about prices!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
BillC,  The Sam7 is a great rifle, and it is built to use double stack, ( High Cap Mags).

Happy Shooting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My mags are laughing at your lack of mags.

I have more than I could ever use if I had to.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:19:03 PM EDT
[#6]
If more than 10, it is double stack (alternating rows of bullets next to each other). I'd get 4 more 30rnd steel mags next week. Depending on my rate of fire when blasting, 4-6 is the limit for me with handguard heat/time to let it cool off when the wood smokes/and reload or reset the object target.
40rnd waffles are great mags, but for $7-10 like-new steel 30rnd mags make better deals to fill out your stockpile.
7.62x39 AK mags last forever and are everywhere (for now) cheap. I have more than 6 for my one AR....
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have 8 30rders and one 40rnder. The 40 stays in the rifle, and the 30's go in my vest. I can't fit the 40's in the vest pockets so I stick w/ the 30's. Needless to say I have the bare minimum. Sounds like we both need more mags. I had a whole bunch of mags stolen a few months ago. They are slowly being replaced. So far I like the Chinese mags the best, but I haven't tried the Polish ones. The Chinese mags don't have that spine on the back. Can;t say whether it's more durable or not yet, it's just easier to slap on your hand/head/whatever, and they feed very reliably. Take everything I said with a grain of salt though since I'm an AK newby. This has me wondering how many mags Campy has now. Perhaps.....one BILLION!!?
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:19:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info, im gonna order some more, I have a FAL on the way too, so I guess I better order it some mags also. My thought I guess is that one day we might not be able to buy them, so i guess I better get them now! thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My mags are laughing at your lack of mags.

I have more than I could ever use if I had to.

I am sure you are correct. Send all extras to me.

All your mags are belong to us
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
 When going into combat in Iraq with my M16, I was issued 6 magazines.  Of course, I had those 6 in my LBV, one in the mag, with another clamped to it, one in a buttstock pouch, 5 in a SAW pouch, and three in my buttpack.  God knows how many I had stashed in my other gear.

All fully loaded with 28 rounds each, and most in plastic ziplock bags (except the obvious ones). 28X16=at least 448 rounds on tap.  I never thought to count that until now, thanks.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 When going into combat in Iraq with my M16, I was issued 6 magazines.  Of course, I had those 6 in my LBV, one in the mag, with another clamped to it, one in a buttstock pouch, 5 in a SAW pouch, and three in my buttpack.  God knows how many I had stashed in my other gear.

All fully loaded with 28 rounds each, and most in plastic ziplock bags (except the obvious ones). 28X16=at least 448 rounds on tap.  I never thought to count that until now, thanks.  

dissipator556,
if I was going into combat-between mags and water-I expect I would waddle like a duck !!
-----------------------------------------------

BillC., I use five 20-round mags with AR's and will use five 30-round mags when I start shooting my AK's.  As others have said, there is no magic number but that's what I use.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:59:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Billc , I just got my SAM7 a couple months back. I am a bad spender but I ended up getting 4 of the waffle maps, (best mags IMO) then 4 of the polish from AIM, 40rd ROm, Polish Synthetic(free from aim, there mistake).  Those Waffle mags look great and feel great, nice snug fit. Polish Metal mags are super good quality for 8$ a piece. I bought mag clamps that hold the polish together. Works great. For sure get some Waffles then Polish.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Replace mags with chapstick and that would be me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I got 24 30rd, 6 40rd, 1 chicom 75 drum ,
(and 2 rom drums on the way)and that's just in 7.62
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:58:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, for practical purposes I carry a minimum of 4: 3 in a chest rig and one in the weapon.

For matters of a more social nature I carry between 7-11. If I carry 7, 3 in a chest rig, 3 in a belt pouch and 1 in gun. Option 2: 3 in chest rig, and two 4 mag. belt pouches (thats when the Russian red plastic and waffles of an unknown origin really come in handy) plus 1-2 bandoleers with stripper clips and chargers that I always have available.

As for how many is enough? Well whatever you feel safe with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#16]
This is simple.  If you have to ask, you do not have enough.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:31:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Also, get some Hungarian 20 rounders as well... Tapco has them.  Much easier to shoot prone with them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys, I just ordered 10 mags of 30 and 2 more 40 rounders, If I get low, I'll borrow my wifes stash.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Magazines are like horsepower: you can never have enough.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Although I have roughly 25 mags per rifle, I think that 10 mags per rifle is probably a reasonable and comfortable number.

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Although I have roughly 25 mags per rifle, I think that 10 mags per rifle is probably a reasonable and comfortable number.

I agree...... better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#22]
 I would say that 200 mags per rifle would be the upper limit. If you have more than that you might have issues.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, I'm mag deprived then, after getting rid of my SAR2 the only duplicate mags I have are three for my new P22. What I need?

Ten 20rnd Hungarians for my SKS-D, about two dozen 30rnd mags of whatever vintage I can get my hands on cheapest for my AKM, Maybe another dozen or so mags for the Uzi. I also need another five or six mags for my Saiga 12 to make 20.

Hmmm...may be another ten mags for my Tokarev.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top