Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 9:33:40 AM EDT
At this time as far as law you can build if you use required US parts and a virgin rec. but the mag but be welded to rec to comply with the AW ban. Now if or should I say when the AW ban expires in Sept and no action is taken to carry on the law, it appears to me that a  Krink pistol could be made with virgin rec. no butt stock, and a short barrel and removable mag.  This should not be a NFA item because the rec is virgin and no stock is installed that would make it a short barreled rife. If the AW is removed from law you would not even need the required US parts......Any comments, thinking about building or at least getingthe parts ready. Just thought Id run this across the board.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:10:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not think the weight would be an issue if the AW ban is no longer law. Need some ideas from the board. Any and all input would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#3]
DRIGUNN:

That's a pretty big "IF", but yes. With the AWB out of the way, the restrictions on weight and other AW features would be lifted and these would again become feasible projects.

But I tend to side with Campy about their usefulness. "Full of sound & fury, signifying nothing". Small-caliber, high-velocity rounds like the 5.56 and 5.45 need a proper barrel length to realize their potential. Otherwise you're just shooting an expensive and VERY loud .22.

If you must go this way, register the gun as an AOW (Any Other Weapon). This will allow you to add a forward vertical grip (in fact, it's mandatory so that it can't be considered a pistol) and have your detachable mag and flash-hider (or better yet, a silencer to swallow up all that blast as well).

My $.02.

PS - and you'd better check on the parts-count issue; I believe that was passed under a different law, which does not sunset with the AWB.  So after the AWB, AKs and such will be able to have threaded muzzles, folding stocks, etc, but still can only have 10 of the imported parts on the ATF list to be imported.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you right about the 10 parts issue, there were too many bans in such a short time period to keep track of , my hat is off to ATF for enforcing, or just trying to keep track of all the laws that followed the machine gun ban in the late 80's.  Congress was on a roll....As far as usefullness of the AK pistol, like was said ''not much'' other that it could done again, as for now can't do it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top