Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/19/2003 6:25:52 PM EDT
Having eyes too aged to effectively employ iron sights any more, I had considered drilling my Poly Legend for a scope mount. After having several of the more knowledgeable members threaten to post less-than-flattering allegations about my mother if I dared do such a thing to a Legend, I decided to try the Ultimak with an Aimpoint.

This turned out to be one of those all-to-rare experiences of getting something that is actually better than you'd hoped it would be.

The quality of the device, both structural and esthetic, made me feel a little funny about putting it on a Kalashnikov. The instructions must have been written by a professional technical writer. They are so utterly clear (complete with excellent color illustrations) that a drunken orangutan could follow them and perform a successful installation. Hell; I did.

Took it to the range this morning and shot 2 MOA @ 100 & 200 yd.til the ammo ran out.

This setup also allows you to see the iron sights through the bottom of the Aimpoint. So if that rascal dies, you (those of you who can still see close up stuff) just scrunch down your cheek weld and get back in the war.

I'm a happy little guy.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
kewl, wish they made those for a krink.
thanx for the review.
just one question, was heat an issue?
but i guess aimpoints are probably stressed to withstand higher than normal heat.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Was heat an issue?[b/]

Oddly enough, it really doesn't get all that hot on top of the gas tube. Nothing like the heat from the barrel. Strange but true.

Call the guy. He might be able/willing to make you a krink version.

Good luck.

SD
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you say CHEEK WELD! I have grown to love my Ultimak for that reason alone, plus the Co-witnessing is also a plus. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the attachment system (Two steel bands). The reason I say this is because we are dealing with 3 dissimilar metals: the Barrel steel, Aluminum (the ultimak) and the steel mounting bands. These three materials will all have a different expansion/contraction rate when heated up. Since the whole system is held in place by the two metal bands which in turn are under pressure, things are probably moving around slightly as the weapon heats up and cools down. Will have to see how it holds zero over time. BTW, heat transferred to the optic is very minimal.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top