Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2003 8:46:23 AM EDT
Well, after some reading and Campybob's continued praise-singing, I have almost decided to get an AK variant in 5.45X39.  I've held back because I have several 7.62 AK's/mags/drums/etc and wanted to avoid any confusion.  You know like bringing the wrong mags/ammo etc when going to the range.  I also like the fact that everything shoots the same ammo and can use the same accessories - a sort of standardization for my own little arsenal!

But now that I'm going to get one (which will undoubtably lead to getting 2 and ...), Which one do I get?

I've had an SAR1.  Accuracy was not impressive.  I gave it a kvar make over, put a 74 style muzzle brake on, fixed the trigger and refinished it but parkerizing and KG gun coat.  By the time I was done. I had invested alot of time and $$ for a rifle that looked as good as any out there but was a sheep in wolf's clothing.  My SAM7 was about $50 more and it way out shoots the SAR1 and I didnt have to do squat to get it that way.  Buy - clean - shoot.

Does someone out there make a 74 along the same lines as the sam7 in quality? Yes, I know I can go with a builder, but I was just wondering what else is out there.

Also, those of you with Inrange/ohio 74's what kind of accuracy are you getting?

Thanks,

Jim
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]
My SAR2 is as close to a tackdriver as I've ever seen at 100m in an AK with the possible acception of the 20" Norinco .223 I had once upon a time. I know the '1s had some problems, but I realy wouldnt poo-poo a -2 before you try it.

After that? I'd go for an ORF gun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#2]

those of you with Inrange/ohio 74's what kind of accuracy are you getting?

2 MOA
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
ive been real impressed with Ohio Rapid Fire
-74, i get on average 2moa.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
How does the ammo availability/price compare to the 7.62X39?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
For ammo,see www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp $85 for 750 delivered E of the Miss. You won't find at at the corenr hardware store like 7.62, but cases by distributors are no problem.
My SAR2 with RSA and 4x scope can get 2.5-3" rested at 100 for 5 shots. My bulgy kit build with RSA and 3.5x gets .5" better and is more consistent (built by another Oh LEO, but he is buried in a new street crimes project now). Comparing a SAR2 with trigger set at $400, spend $200 more for the Bulgy build. Glad I have both but my Bulgy build is my favorite semi gun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Ha, if Arsenal Kerschplacki USA builds any '74s they will probably have milled receivers....  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top