Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/14/2003 1:58:40 PM EDT
I just picked up a new SAR 1 and since my 11 year old will probably be shooting it more than me, I would like to install recoil pad on it.
Trouble is, I have had zero luck in finding one. I have checked the online AK dealers that I can think of and zilch. Anybody know where I can find one?
I would love to get one that was made for the rifle, otherwise I could get a generic one, but then I would have to flie it or grind it down to fit.
Anybody have any luck fitting a generic one, and how did size it to fit.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a 1" rubber extension for $7 at Tapco. But it may make things long for the kid, so how about a SAR2? Never have too many AKs :)
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Only slightly off topic - I'm looking for a recoil pad-buttstock extender for a Romak III if anyone knows of one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#3]
RS39
I saw that item at Tapco and I think it's more of an extension than a recoil pad. If it's soft rubber it may lessen the blow a little, but you screw the metal butt plate over it and your shoulder is still getting hit by a metal piece.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a semi-soft rubber.  It screws on over top of your butt plate.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have one of these? Does it work OK? Can you take the butt plate off and just screw it to the end of the stock?
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
obershutze is right in that the rubber ain't that soft.  I put them on my AK's, but it was more for extension than for recoil purposes.  You could take off the buttplate, but the recoil pad doesn't fit exactly even with the stock, so it might look funny.  There won't be a big difference whether you leave the metal buttpad on or take it off.

With Tapco's pricing structure and shipping costs - it's probably better to order 10 and then sell off the ones you don't need to your friends.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking of going over to Walmart and just get a cheapie and put a disc sander on my drill and just go at it. See what happens.

I was just wondering if anyone else had tried to size one to fit. The butt stock end is pretty small on the SAR.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#8]

You want the GP recoil pad, K-var has the Bulg version, part number AK-005B.

www.k-varcorp.com/buttplate.html

Don't know if it will fit a PSL, but could probably trimmed to fit.

I think the version Tapco sells if for chinese stocks.  The GP pad will fit about any stock version.

Dave

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Appreciate all the replies.

LooseCannon - I did see the GP recoil pad, but I couldn't figure out where the strap goes.

I think I found one at egunparts that is just a little bit bigger than the end of the stock, I'll just have to file or sand it some.
I was just looking for a regular old recoil pad that screws to the rifle butt.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn thing looks like a maxi pad for your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#11]
My thoughts exactly!!!

Don't really care for the looks of it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#12]
What do you do with the strap on that thing???

Doesn't it just slip over the end of the stock?  I can't figure out where you'd put the strap!

Logistar
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:27:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one I'm not going to use. I bought it in April and never installed it. IM me, I'll give you a smoking deal.
AB
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]

On a fixed stock, it just presses on.

Believe the strap is for the AKS-74 folding stock. However, I've seen it used with fixed stocks by running it around the sling swivel.

I cut slots on my stock to run the strap through. It's a plastic stock without the cleaning kit compartment.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, LooseCannon.

That makes sense!

Logistar
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top